Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers? >

How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Notices

How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Why not just run some hoses to the flame arrester??
That's what I did. No more oil film on my clean engine.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
I plan on using fuel tank foam in the adapter prior to the hose running up to the puke tank.
Kirk,

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Vinny,I extended my tubes on the valve covers like I have done on circle track motors,I also mounted both tubes to the front of the valve covers(no rear) so the oil won't climb up the vent from high speed. When my rings start to get tired/leakdown goes up before I freshen the motor I run rolled up scotchbrite in the tubes to help stop the oilfrom making its way out. I tried a homeade puke tank using -8 hoses to a small tank on a blown 502 years ago but the oil would vent out of the tank and it started pressurizing the motor and pushing the seals out,Smitty
I attached a couple of pics,if you look close you will notice the breather elements on top of the tubes,the tubes are approx 10" tall.
Attached Thumbnails How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-copy-boyne-020.jpg   How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-copy-boyne-016.jpg  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Dean,
30+ HP at 15" of vacuum with standard tension or low tension oil rings?
Ben
Standard tension. With the low tension I have seen about 7 HP or so more. I have dynoed about 50 engines we have done alot a vacuum testing on and every one has had the same gains in power. I have a new system which is going through the patent office right now.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is some more info/opinions on engine vacuum.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?=&p=49495
Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Smitty,
I have thought about extending the height of the breathers as you did. Today, I have come to a decision on what I am going to do. I ordered Imco's 10" x 3" puke tank. I came up wih a good way of using my existing valve cover adapters to plumb 2 -12 AN lines to the tank. I can incorporate enough fuel cell foam in the adapters if needed to limit the flow. It should look good, I just hope its functional.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
MM1
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
Thanks, that is what I was thinking of. The only problem is I cant find anything to screw into the covers, except for what I have. Anyone done something similiar with 2 piece Eckerts like I have?
I had the same problem with a customers boat last year and I welded # 16 fitting into the valve covers, repowder coated them and ran hoses to the flame arrester. Problem solved
Old 02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Registered

The quickest and cheapest way is to extend the breather tubes before the filter vents.Inbetween the filter and valve cover.Once the filter is up higher,it will be alot harder for the liquid oil to travel up,then only vapor oil will come out the filter which is normal. all needed is a few hose clamps and some type of tube.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JJONES
The quickest and cheapest way is to extend the breather tubes before the filter vents.Inbetween the filter and valve cover.Once the filter is up higher,it will be alot harder for the liquid oil to travel up,then only vapor oil will come out the filter which is normal. all needed is a few hose clamps and some type of tube.

Yeah, but it depends on what you're looking for - this thread has gone from vacuum pumps at one end of the cost/cleanliness spectrum to your simple fix for oil liquid.

The residue left inside the engine compartment from oil (& combustion) vapour is corrosive and accelerates the deterioration of all of the components. MrHP(aka Mr Clean) hit the nail on the head with the vacuum pump - its "the" proven solution today to remove this dirty condition, although most of us can't afford it - either space for the pump or money to buy it.
Just my .02 over morning coffee.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use a vacuum pump, where do you exhaust it? Doug

Quick Reply: How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.