Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers? >

How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Notices

How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Run puke tanks on the motors if it bothers you.I got two for sale ,was going to put them on my blower motors but had no room. JOHN
What brand puke tannks do you have for sale? Do you have entire vacuum system or just the tanks? How much do you want for both?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is what my engine builder supplied. I added drain valves to the bottom of the tanks.
Attached Thumbnails How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-dscn0589_2s.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
I have seen on average 30+ HP and can guarantee this with 15 inches of vacuum. This will not cause oil pressure to fluctuate. Believe me, I have been able to pull 40 inches of crankcase vacuum on my NHRA Pro Stocker and it does not effect oil pressure. I use one pump per engine, on pleasure boat applications I run 15 inches all day long.
Have you noticed less of a gain on motors with stock oil pans?
I've seen a couple where the Vac pump didn't make as much as expected, but then when we swapped pans it came around huge. I was only pulling 10-12 inches though and maybe that makes a difference, but it seems like a bigger pan with side kick-outs really helps.? Thanks, Alex..
Old 02-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rbtnt thats the same as mine , it cured my oil blowby mess.The Whipple kit came with a 3/8 line and filter,it would blow oil out of it, my theory was it had more velocity so the oil would not separate from the air coming out ,the #12 the velocity was slowed way down and the oil would separate from it, Kinda like how a dry sump tank works.

Peterson makes the tank any way ya want,around 79.00, I ran # 12 hose as to let the oil separate from the air coming out of the block, there not even any residue on the can ,no more smell.

another thread on it,
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...wer-motor.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...endations.html
Attached Thumbnails How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-6-25-2007-engine-021-small-.jpg   How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-6-25-2007-engine-019-medium-.jpg   How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-drives-4-7-07-032-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Rob
VIP Member

picks
Attached Thumbnails How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-outdrive-3-29-07-011-large-.jpg   How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-outdrive-3-29-07-016-small-.jpg   How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-engine-2-25-2007-018-large-.jpg  

Old 02-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Rob
VIP Member

made a bracket out of stainless,polished it,it bolts up under the factory coil bracket, same bolts,keeping it simple
Attached Thumbnails How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-outdrive-3-29-07-011-large-.jpg  

Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very clean and simple!!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Registered

Vacuum pump or
Breather tank or
Vent to air cleaner

Vacuum pump is best(Next to dry sump which has plenty of scavenge ), breather tank=obvious next best. Venting to the air cleaner will keep the engine compartment fairly clean but it's really not a good idea for a HIGH_HP(800 hp+ I really shouldn't state that it's hp related.... if you're close to the edge octane wise, this "blowby" could be trouble) engine. The oil vapors are there because things are going by the rings, right? That's not all that ends up being spit out....oil, right? How about this might induce detonation?

Anyhoosit, back to my cave

Last edited by RichardCranium572; 03-01-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have one vacuum pump for both engines. The discharge goes to a catch can and the fumes are vented out the bilge....very clean.
Attached Thumbnails How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?-imgp1035.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Registered

Default one vac pump for 2 bb chev engines

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
I run a vacuum pump and it is great for oil blow-by control. I don't agreed with the 30+ hp in a wet sump marine application. My dyno experience with standard tension oil rings @ 15" of vacuum is less than 10 HP. Any more vacuum than 15" caused my oil pressure to fluctuate on the dyno...VP fighting the oil pump.
For absolute blow by control on a wet sump system, all you need is any negative pressure. To rig this VP system right, figure on a $1500+ project.
You can use one VP on twin BB....works great.
BP. Could you shed any more light on the installation of one vac pump for duel big blocks? This sounds like the answer to my problem.

Quick Reply: How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.