Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anybody using belt drives? Jesel, comp cams, or CV products ? >

Anybody using belt drives? Jesel, comp cams, or CV products ?

Notices

Anybody using belt drives? Jesel, comp cams, or CV products ?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anybody using belt drives? Jesel, comp cams, or CV products ?

Looking for the some feedback on the belt drives.

Kinda like the Comp Cam's but I thought I heard some feedback that the idler was the weak link.

Then I heard Jesel and CV were the best and that CV was slightly better due to a larger bearing. But I can't even find one that CV offers.................

Thanks for any help and or feed back.

Jon
Old 02-09-2008, 11:16 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

I have been using Jesel for years. Change them out at around 100 hours. Never a problem.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my first jessel on now, no problems at all, and being able to adjust cam timing is nice. Go with Jessel !!!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bob
I have been using Jesel for years. Change them out at around 100 hours. Never a problem.
What are you changing out at 100 Hours? Belt only or additional parts?

Thanks
Jon
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Registered

He is referring to the belt. What GM block do you have? Mark iV, Gen 5 or Gen 6? The Jessel BBC kit is made (bolt on) for the Gen 5. You must modify the block to accept the Jessel base timing cover. Yeah, I thought the same thing. $900 bucks and Jessel engineers can't produce a base cover for the Gen 6 block. Guess the Gen 6 hasn't been around long enough. What is it, 10 years and counting? Still, great piece and easy cam timing changes. When ordering, make sure you specify which cam you will use, solid or Hyd. roller. Yes, it does make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody using belt drives? Jesel, comp cams, or CV products ?-jesel-drive-004.jpg  

Last edited by ROTAX454; 02-10-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info, would you do it again if starting from scratch?

Thanks
Jon
Old 02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cougarman
Thanks for the info, would you do it again if starting from scratch?
Thanks
Jon
Yes. I like having the ability to adjust the cam timing without removing the timing cover. Which of course on the Gen 6 is a royal pain in the azz. Although the cam LSA prescribed by the manufacturer usally develops the best power, it is still great to have that ease of adjustment on the dyno, and to see the results.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my 2 cents. I have been running the Jesel timing belt systems on numerous sets of engines for over 10 yrs. I think they are more a maintenance issue than a significant benefit. Having said that, most/all the NASCAR Cup, Busch, and truck teams run a belt drive.
We have replaced numerous seals and at least one lower pulley....plus the belts. I think the 100 hr parts change estimate is close....but a leaking seal NEVER happens at the end of the season. I also think there are numerous $1000 performance parts that bring more value on HP marine engines.
Most of the time you are looking for 2-3 HP with the cam setting vs the cam manufactures recommendations. If you can borrow a belt drive for dyno testing, you will be $900+ ahead...unless you want the bling factor
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Banned

I use nothing but Jesel when doing a timing belt system. Zero problems, and yes multiple advantanges. The timing belt is more accurate the a chain, it does not stretch like a chain, Installing the belt system allow you will pick up 15 or so additional HP , ability to adjust camshaft timing when on dyno can result in major gains in HP. I have seen average of 15-20 HP improvements moving cam timing around sometimes more pending on application and set up. If you have the extra money they are nice.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
I use nothing but Jesel when doing a timing belt system. Zero problems, and yes multiple advantanges. The timing belt is more accurate the a chain, it does not stretch like a chain, Installing the belt system allow you will pick up 15 or so additional HP , ability to adjust camshaft timing when on dyno can result in major gains in HP. I have seen average of 15-20 HP improvements moving cam timing around sometimes more pending on application and set up. If you have the extra money they are nice.
Do you use many for Marine use or mostly automotive?

Thanks to everyone
Jon

Quick Reply: Anybody using belt drives? Jesel, comp cams, or CV products ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.