Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Running hot after possibly sucking up sand >

Running hot after possibly sucking up sand

Notices

Running hot after possibly sucking up sand

Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Yep, thanks, just figured it out as you were posting... Got it apart. No sand there, but the parts look a little old, so it's just as well, I suppose.

Mercruiser has discontinued the hose leading from the thermostat housing to the oil cooler -- what's the deal? I had to mangle the old hose to remove it, unfortunately... anyone have a cross-reference number for something that will work?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
I can't say I really looked to see if there was water coming from the exhaust when I noticed it was heating up -- it didn't occur to me to look at the time.

I do know that when I got home, and ran it on the hose, there was the usual amount of water coming from the exhaust, as far as I could tell.

About the thermostat housing -- what's the deal with that? Is it serviceable as a unit only, or can the thermostat be removed from the housing?

Thanks!
Andrew

The Scarab I mentioned above was getting clogged either in the drive or at the elbow where it comes through the transom assembly. It wasn't completely clogging it, just restricting it. So it look like you had decent water at idle but as soon as you as you gave it rpm and tried to get on plane, temperature started climing. May not be your problem, just thought I would mention it.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Registered

Yep, thanks, just figured it out as you were posting... Got it apart. No sand there, but the parts look a little old, so it's just as well, I suppose.

Mercruiser has discontinued the hose leading from the thermostat housing to the oil cooler -- what's the deal? I had to mangle the old hose to remove it, unfortunately... anyone have a cross-reference number for something that will work?

Thanks!
Call BAM Marine, he should be able to help you.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThruHull
The Scarab I mentioned above was getting clogged either in the drive or at the elbow where it comes through the transom assembly. It wasn't completely clogging it, just restricting it. So it look like you had decent water at idle but as soon as you as you gave it rpm and tried to get on plane, temperature started climing. May not be your problem, just thought I would mention it.
Good information, thanks...

Did he have to pull the drive to clear it out? I just pulled the drive a couple of months ago, and I'd rather not have to do it again if it's not necessary...
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Registered

No, I just backflushed it for about 15 minutes with the hose like I described above. It took probably 5-10 minutes for it to clear out, then I just let it run a few extra minutes for good measure while I told my buddy how much beer he owed me for fixing his boat! Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information, thanks...

Did he have to pull the drive to clear it out? I just pulled the drive a couple of months ago, and I'd rather not have to do it again if it's not necessary...
just pull the main water feed off the transom assembly and back flush the drive if youre worried about the drive , and id invest in a decent sea strainer to keep the sand out of the engine and cooling system < very easy to unplug the strainer , vs the rest of the system . oilcooler ect good luck
Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered

Ok, thanks for all the info... I've got to put a new thermostat in there, and replace that hose to the oil cooler, and then I'll give all that a try. Probably won't be able to do much until Thursday, my next day off.

-Andrew
Old 02-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Registered

Did you get a chance to try any of these things yet?