circ pump or crossover's >

circ pump or crossover's

Notices

circ pump or crossover's

Old 02-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default circ pump or crossover's

building two new big block's should i keep the circulating pump's or go with crossovers.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Circulating pumps are good for stock engines- in fact, it allows them to run better and last longer since you get them up to a proper operating temp- no chance on running cold and scuffing parts thru tight clearances. Blower motors need lots of water volume to stay cool so the circ pumps will hinder you. The systems with crossovers and stats are a good compromise.

Remember, removing the water pump removes one more mechanical piece that can fail & strand you.

If you do alot of idling and not going over 400 horse, I'd keep the pumps.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Gold Member

Default crossovers

i removed the circulating pump on my older boat w/525sc type motor and pput a crossover on it and it works well,keeps the temps down.i wanted to put the same crossover on another boat i own w/502mpi mag and was told not to.my engine guy said the engine will run cooler and mess up the engine or would not run right because of the motor is computor controled.hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Registered

circ pumps
Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, EFI is much more sensitive to engine operating temp.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm going Back to Circulating Pumps, I've been told numerous times that you can get hot spots with cross overs.

And you can prevent that with Circulating Pumps.
Down side is they may not look as cool, but I did find some nice Billet ones. Check the link out.

http://www.meziere.com/displaycatego...32,232,397,175

Jon
Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

thanks, i will stay with the circ. pump's. i shouid be at 450-500 hp on these 468's and my engine builder said use circ. pump's
Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cougarman
I'm going Back to Circulating Pumps, I've been told numerous times that you can get hot spots with cross overs.

Down side is they may not look as cool, but I did find some nice Billet ones. Check the link out.

Jon
I have choosen to stay with a recir pump setup on my motor builds. I will use the Meziere billet mechnical pump. CAUTION: If you stay with the timing chain, your timing cover will fit OK. BUT, if you chose to use the Jesel belt, the belt pulley has a clearance issue with the pump. I had to use the pump spacers from CV Products. I had them machined for O-ring sealing. Pic shows the pump install before the Jesel belt drive was installed.
Attached Thumbnails circ pump or crossover's-new-parts-pics-006.jpg  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 PM
MM1
Registered

Originally Posted by cougarman

Jon
I use the cross over set up and run 2 #4 hoses from the water bosses at the back of the intake manifold and dump them overboard. This system works great for me.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I ran circ water pumps on my 600 NA motors with raw water cooling. Still do but have closed loop cooling now. Merc uses circ water pump on their 1200 SCi motor. I guess there is something to keeping block at temp but there are lots of people who run crossovers successfully. I would like to see some knowledgeable members weigh in.

We all boat in relatively warm water during the summer, maybe Merc is looking at more varied water temp conditions with the circ water pump, tstat and the rest of the water system they run.

Quick Reply: circ pump or crossover's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.