What size BTU Marine Air Conditioner? >

What size BTU Marine Air Conditioner?

Notices

What size BTU Marine Air Conditioner?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LZH
nice man. I assume a generator is a must? where does that go? engine compartment?
Some people put a Honda EU2000i generator on the swimstep or on the bow tied down. I myself as well as others ( incl.OSO member Excursion) have set them up in the engine compartment.I put mine on the shelf in front of the port motor. It is set up with a silicone hose (350deg f.)and a stainless thru hull fitting for exhaust, a dedicate blower to vent heat, an engine compartment fuel vapor sensor that activates main blower,and two co sensors for the passenger compartment. I also have hand switch mounted in the old "tv-cable" shorepower connector to switch between shorepower and generator. And a cable hardwired into that switch that goes straight to the generator (when installed).- haven't used it yet but hoping for the best. Mike
Old 02-24-2008, 02:15 PM
LZH
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
Some people put a Honda EU2000i generator on the swimstep or on the bow tied down. I myself as well as others ( incl.OSO member Excursion) have set them up in the engine compartment.I put mine on the shelf in front of the port motor. It is set up with a silicone hose (350deg f.)and a stainless thru hull fitting for exhaust, a dedicate blower to vent heat, an engine compartment fuel vapor sensor that activates main blower,and two co sensors for the passenger compartment. I also have hand switch mounted in the old "tv-cable" shorepower connector to switch between shorepower and generator. And a cable hardwired into that switch that goes straight to the generator (when installed).- haven't used it yet but hoping for the best. Mike
Sounds like a nice, well thought out setup...nice job. If I decide to install AC, that's what I'll do.

Also, you guys that picked these units up for $650 got an amazing deal....WOW, basically half price.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

In your case bigger is defintely better. A 5000 BTU is entirely too small for a 39' Top Gun cabin. I have a 35' Mach 1 with a 9000 BTU unit and I must say it is AWESOME! I had a 5000BTU unit in my last boat (29' Baja) and it would get a bit hot and humid sometimes. Of course I do my boating in the Midwest where the summer temps and humidity are high. Mine is mounted (like you mentioned) under the v-berth and the air is exited under the couch seats. I too have a 2000 watt Honda which works great. The reverse heat is nice too. I used it a couple of times in November, but it is not a must have item. Hope this helps. Bob M...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Don't go smaller then 7000 BTU. That is what came in my 36 Oulaw and there are times I wish it was larger capacity.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LZH
Sounds like a nice, well thought out setup...nice job. If I decide to install AC, that's what I'll do.

Also, you guys that picked these units up for $650 got an amazing deal....WOW, basically half price.
LZH-being from so cal I go I Havasu so I wanted an a/c system on the large side. My friends 419 formula did not get too cool there. When high humidity is an issue I see too large a system being an issue. But havasu is VERY dry. Mike
Old 02-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 5,000 BTU unit would be too small in South Florida, and I expect it might be too small for you in your area.

I agree with Dock Holiday...no smaller than 7,000.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
LZH
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
LZH-being from so cal I go I Havasu so I wanted an a/c system on the large side. My friends 419 formula did not get too cool there. When high humidity is an issue I see too large a system being an issue. But havasu is VERY dry. Mike
I go there as well. Last 4th of July it was about 120F....brutally hot but as you say, very dry. I would go below deck to apply sunscreen, wipe the sweat off me, goto put the sunscreen on and already have sweat everywhere before I could even get the sunscreen on....
That being said...having a nice cool cabin in conditions like that would be an amazing relief cause the only way to get out of the heat was to get in the water.
I was on my buddies Outerlimits and at 117 mph it was like holding a hair dryer in front of your face on full blast !!!