Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
exhaust questions. Dry VS. what? WET? >

exhaust questions. Dry VS. what? WET?

Notices

exhaust questions. Dry VS. what? WET?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default exhaust questions. Dry VS. what? WET?

In all my research for HP, im noticing the last thing to add on the list is exhaust.. but there seems to be so many different kinds.. Manifolds vs big tubes, etc.. can someone give me a short run down of what all there is out there and the pros and cons of each. It would seem that "dry" exhaust would get SUPER hot, maybe im wrong? Someone knows these answers!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waterboy222
In all my research for HP, im noticing the last thing to add on the list is exhaust.. but there seems to be so many different kinds.. Manifolds vs big tubes, etc.. can someone give me a short run down of what all there is out there and the pros and cons of each. It would seem that "dry" exhaust would get SUPER hot, maybe im wrong? Someone knows these answers!
dry exhaust has a water jacket around it and either dumps the water at the end of the pipes or through a thru hull.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

if it dumps the water at the end of the pipes, doesnt the forward part of the exhaust get super hot?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Full water jacket.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

so whats the price difference and pros/cons of water jacketed headers or "the other kind"
Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I havent looked at pricing lately, the last time I looked, stainless CMI headers were not that much more $$ than aluminum manifolds. Manifolds have a limit as far as horsepower, while headers basically dont. In my opinion, no manifolds out there can match the look of stainless tubular headers.
I run full dry CMI's. Full dry means that the water and exhaust never mix. However, as was said above, the headers are fully water jacketed, they are a pipe within a pipe. Water surrounds the inner pipe, keeping the outer pipe warm to the touch, but far from burning hot. My tails, have a bung welded to the ends, to dump the water via a through hull fitting. That way the exhaust and water never mix. The down side.. Its too damn loud. I know, most of us say I like it loud, but trust me, its toooooo loud. A set of GGB extreme mufflers took the bark out of it.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Registered

great info, thats the explanation i was looking for vinny.. appreciate it.. im only finding exhaust systems in the $5k range, am i missin somethin???
Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

if you want the best performing exhaust , go with the KE'S as they are a true 32' in length.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=ke+exhaust

second runner up is STAINLESS MARINE manifolds..

my coin's worth.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered

does an exhaust system require the engines bein pulled to install? wont be able to afford exhaust after the rebuilds but hopefull mid summer.. hate to have to pull the motors again to do that install.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The center manifolds on your boat would be a pita. It is possible though depending on the type of exhaust you choose. Check out lightning's. They look and perform really well and are more reasonably priced than other true headers.

Quick Reply: exhaust questions. Dry VS. what? WET?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.