Bravo I outdrive problems >

Bravo I outdrive problems

Notices

Bravo I outdrive problems

Old 03-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bravo I outdrive problems

Due to an unforeseen submerged telephone pole I will need some outdrive work. Going home on Sat and cruising about 50 mph I noticed I thought was a stump partially submerged. It turned out to be a 30' telephone pole that was submerged and I happened to hit it really hard. The boat came to stop real quick. All ended well, everyone safe, nerves frayed and I got towed in fine. The pics show the out drive damage.

What should I make sure the surveryor and marina check besides the obvious?

Busted gimbal ring
Busted top of the case
Busted middle area of the case

The drive was pulled lose from the engine, the grease zerk from the coupler is laying in the engine compartment. Would rough treatment like this damage any of the driveline?, how about the internals etc. I don't wish this crap onanyone but if its happened to you chime in on your expierence.
Attached Thumbnails Bravo I outdrive problems-outdrive-1.jpg   Bravo I outdrive problems-outdrive-2.jpg   Bravo I outdrive problems-outdrive-3.jpg  

Old 03-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered

before the naysaers chimne in YES I was wearing the lanyard, YES we had our lifejackets on.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have replaced several units damaged in just that fashion, believe me you're not alone. Make sure that the inner bracket, especially the lowest part is solid and not cracked, more than likely it is trashed also. So make sure the insurance co. expects that expense. Cause you really can't see that damage until the motor comes out. Also look for tweaked motor mounts that happens frequently also. Finally be sure to scrutinize the inner transom, especially at the seam, and just above the transom the force from the impact usually cracks the inner fiberglass layer at or above the upper part of the transom.

Last edited by Trippin; 03-03-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lucky that drive shaft bellows didnt rip , bilge pumps have a hard time keeping up with that kinda flow , things coulda been alot worse
glad to hear you and your crew are alright , also hope that someone towed the telephone pole in to shore so that it doesnt claim another victom
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered

I was pumping a full stream out of the bilge during the tow home but I don't the boat was ever in danger of sinking. Yes I am very lucky the bellows didn't rip. That is the very first thing that crossed my mind when this happened.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Registered

if you can replace the transom with a hp gimbal set up 2600 to 3000gs. I think in the class. sorry to hear this happened. art
Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Registered

thanks for the replys and help on this mishap. I contacted the insurance company and several mechanics to look this over. Today I talked with the claims adjuster and it looks like I might get a complete setup from the coupler on back; all new coupler, transom, gimbal, complete new bravo 1, and new prop.

It might take a couple of weeks to complete this but the Claims Adjuster seemed to think this was the way to go.

Meesa Happy now.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Can't you just JB weld it?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like they are stepping up and handling it right. I had a similar thing happen last summer. The insurance co. did right by me also.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

This happened to a guy at our Marina last year. he wasn't as lucky as you. His drive came off. luckily, another boat was near him when it happened and towed him into the marina (about 1/2 mile). His insurance Co. gave him a check for
$20k and totaled the boat. He bought the boat back and fixed it and still put change in his pocket. the hull didn't have any damage.

Quick Reply: Bravo I outdrive problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.