Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil? >

Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Notices

Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Old 03-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dogturd21
Gibb's oil ? You have got to be kidding me...wtf would he know about oil? this is just pure marketing...

You got to hand to to Gibbs and Nascar, they certainly know how to sell the brand.
Dogturd - are you usually this condescending, especially when unprovoked and in what's suppose to be a friendly and cordial atmosphere? This type of attitude is not necessary or appreciated by me and I'm sure by the rest of the members of this forum.

Joe Gibbs is a very successful well respected Nascar Team. Some of the more wise and respected members of this board can confirm that their oil is a high quality custom blended race specific oil, not a cheap marketing gimmic. However if you have some "real" evidence to the contrary, I would be happy to see it.

Last edited by Riverracer; 03-21-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I have done a little research on the joe gibbs oil..From everything i have read they make a awsome oil and stand behind there product...A lot of guys love the break in oil they have formulated, i for one cant afford to put 12 quarts into my engine when it costs 160.00 a oil change not including the filter...
Old 03-21-2008, 05:07 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DMOORE
I run the Red Line 20-50, full synthetic, and am very happy, even in 120 degree heat.

Darrell.
Red Line is the best.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:51 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a 50/50 mix of Mobil One and 10W50 racing oil .
I read testing showed synthetic oil boosted the mineral oil's characteristics while the mineral oil improved film density .
I dont think oil temperature is an issue in a properly rigged boat , if anything the problem keeping the oil adequately warm .
I believe the major difference between the two oils is temperature breakdown , as far as friction goes you'd probably need extremely sophisticated sensitive equipment to determine any measureable gain .
Save your money .
I also ran Mobil One in the stern drives and transmissions with no issues .
Old 03-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aex
Are the additive chemistries compatible?
Is the 10w50 a petroleum? If it is why don't you just run a syn/pet blend out of the blocks instead of playing blender? What viscosity Mobile 1 are you using and what is the final viscosity of the "blended" product.

If you are going to "blend" products, stay with the same oil manufacture, hopefully they use the same additive technology in all their different types of engine oils.

Ken
Old 03-22-2008, 06:30 PM
aex
Registered

[QUOTE=minxguy;2495342]Are the additive chemistries compatible?
Is the 10w50 a petroleum? If it is why don't you just run a syn/pet blend out of the blocks instead of playing blender? What viscosity Mobile 1 are you using and what is the final viscosity of the "blended" product.
If you are going to "blend" products, stay with the same oil manufacture, hopefully they use the same additive technology in all their different types of engine oils.

Minxguy , they are compatible , I'll typically run 10w50 Mobil One and the Valvoline , Pennzoil or any premium racing oil .
I'm positive my blend is 50/50 and not some marketing gimmick , besides you need to run " RACING OIL" because of it's low ash content in a high compression motor.
After 20 years of doing this , a few wins and a few championships , I'm not playing

Last edited by aex; 03-22-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered

If you have to run a low ash oil in your high compression engines why do you mix it 50/50 with an alleged high ash product like Mobile 1? From what i have read about oils if you want low ash use aircraft oils with their organic detergent package and then follow an engine rebuild schedule a la Lycoming.
And why do I need to run a low ash oil in a high compression motor?

Ken
Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by minxguy
If you have to run a low ash oil in your high compression engines why do you mix it 50/50 with an alleged high ash product like Mobile 1? From what i have read about oils if you want low ash use aircraft oils with their organic detergent package and then follow an engine rebuild schedule a la Lycoming.
And why do I need to run a low ash oil in a high compression motor?

Ken
Ken , Mobil 1 is actually low ash .
The ash in motor oils lead to combustion chamber deposits which promote detonation . I started this practice quite a while ago but still break them in with conventional oil . On another point I like to keep the pressure down and volume high , run the lightest viscosity oil you can .
I think it's pretty common knowledge the various lubricants do mix successfuly .
Just my way I guess , I do concede I'm no expert .
I copied the following from a Mobil 1 ad .

Mobil 1 5W-30 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often cannot perform

It is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer

Features and Benefits:-
Low Ash Content
Low Sulphur and Phosphorous content
Active cleaning agents
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability
Low oil consumption
Enhanced frictional properties
Excellent low temperature capabilities
Old 03-23-2008, 05:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by aex
On another point I like to keep the pressure down and volume high , run the lightest viscosity oil you can.

Mobil 1 5W-30 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often cannot perform
Am I to understand that you take Mobil 1 5-30 and mix it with a racing oil of what viscosity and then what is the final viscosity?
I want believe that you can come up with a balanced finished lubricant better than say Mobile. You state that Mobil 1 is also low ash, so why would you take a state of the art synthetic and ruin it's chemical and oxidative properties and mix it with a conventional (petroleum) lubricant.

Just what is the extreme conditions are you using the oil in?
Oil temps in excess of 300 degrees, extreme cold say -25F, or are you shooting for 50-100 hours of use between changes?

I am just curious and I am sure that there are people on this board who are just as curious.
Ken
Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 AM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by aex
I read testing showed synthetic oil boosted the mineral oil's characteristics while the mineral oil improved film density .
I dont think oil temperature is an issue in a properly rigged boat , if anything the problem keeping the oil adequately warm .
I believe the major difference between the two oils is temperature breakdown , as far as friction goes you'd probably need extremely sophisticated sensitive equipment to determine any measureable gain .
Save your money .
I also ran Mobil One in the stern drives and transmissions with no issues .
Good morning Ken .
A I had stated , that product description came directly from a Mobil ad . Please read my original post , quoted above .
Film density is what protects your roller valve train when you have the excessive spring pressures associated with high lift cams .
The greatest advantage of synthetic oil is it's ability to withstand high temperatures , again not an issue in a properly rigged boat , save your money .
Synthetic oil is a luxury item , if you can afford it use it but you'll only see an advantage under the most extreme conditions .
Keep the oil volume high , keep the pressure and viscosity as low as you can get away with and obviously keep it clean

Quick Reply: Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.