Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil? >

Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Notices

Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverracer
Dogturd - are you usually this condescending, especially when unprovoked and in what's suppose to be a friendly and cordial atmosphere? This type of attitude is not necessary or appreciated by me and I'm sure by the rest of the members of this forum.

Joe Gibbs is a very successful well respected Nascar Team. Some of the more wise and respected members of this board can confirm that their oil is a high quality custom blended race specific oil, not a cheap marketing gimmic. However if you have some "real" evidence to the contrary, I would be happy to see it.
Joe Gibbs is an excellent team manager and businessman, and runs fine Nascar team. Joe Gibbs was also a well known football coach, and it was in this capacity that I met him a few times during his first stint with the Redskins, before his Nascar team took off. Like any party conversation, the topics veer off into all sorts of directions, but the wiser people tend to avoid politics unless its a political event (one of these was a political fundraiser). I can say with first hand knowledge that Joe Gibbs possesses very little technical background in automotive engineering- he leaves that up to the people that work for him or advise him. Joe Gibbs background was 100% football, from college until starting the Nascar team. He is an excellent manager and leader. Being successfull in managing and leading an orginazation frequently does not require in-depth knowledge of the product or the engineering that went into it, but having that in-depth knowedge certainly would help.

Joe Gibbs motor oil is just somebodies idea of making a few more bucks off of his name- in fact, until you pointed it out, I did not even know it existed. I cannot comment on the products quaility, and in fact I did not. I just pointed out that I personally was surprised that this product existed.

I rarely buy a product based on some celebrity endorsement, and on the rare chance that I buy a product like that, I sure as heck would like to know that the person endorsing the product understands that product, how it was made, why it was made in that manner, etc. I know first hand that Joe Gibbs does not, but of course I did not point that out earlier and you had no way of knowing my background.

If you took offense at my earlier comment, that was not my intention. But you are correct that I sometimes come across as condescending

Now, let me contrast this with my meeting Gen. Colin Powell many years ago. This guy knows cars...in fact his gear head knowledge, more for its breadth than its depth, was quite impressive. He spent a fascinating few minutes expounding on old Volvos, and what makes them both good cars and bad investments, the pros and cons of various Volvo engines and how they compared to the evolution of the GM sbc and bbc (the similarity in product evolution, not similarity of the actual product). He even digressed into why the M1 tank and M2 Bradley are such successfull armored fighting vehicles, due in part to its excellent performance of the engines and suspension, and how quickly they can be repaired in the field in the event of major mechanical failure (r&r a M1 engine in less than 2 hours ?) . The real challenge is keeping them supplied with fuel. " The US 1st Armored Divsion can go toe to toe with the best 3 Soviet armored divisions when they were at their prime. But the 1st Div would use just as much fuel as those 3 Soviet Divisions, maybe more!". (I am paraphrasing from memory).

I think my point is that Joe Gibbs, "in my opinion only", is stepping out of his area of expertise by slapping his name on a motor oil, and my cynical side sees it as a move to make a few bucks. There is nothing wrong with making a few $$, but it will not be my $$. If Colin Powell had endorsed a motor oil, I might take it a little more seriously.

Its just my opinion, dont take offense.

Last edited by dogturd21; 03-23-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered

I think that the oil is custom formulated and meant to be endorsed by the Joe Gibbs Race Team, not Joe Gibbs Personally, which isn't the same thing. I haven't talked to anyone that was under the impression that the oil was designed by Joe Gibbs personally, but by the Race Team. I'm not really sure if endorsement is even the right word, because if you take some time to carefully research this oil you'll find that their Race oil is not designed and NOT marketed towards the general public, NOT even towards the avid "weekend" racer. In fact they do very little marketing at all, this is probably why you have never heard of the oil. I've never even seen an advertisement from them. However, they have just come out with a new "Hot Rod oil" this year and is marketed towards the general public.

I only heard about the oil from my engine builder that is a very successful professional race (endurance) engine builder. He had tried many other race oils and was unhappy with all of them, except the Joe Gibbs oil.

When you phone their tech line, you actually talk to someone that knows what they are talking about. I've phoned the tech lines of many other companies and all you can talk to is someone that doesen't know anything more than what's already on their website, infact most of them don't know what bearing clearance is.

Joe Gibbs Race Oil is well respected in the professional racing community. My origional post here was not because I was totally unhappy with the oil, I was just wondering if someone here had some experience with a marine race oil compared to an automotive race oil, primarily with regards to the anti corrosion additives that marine oils have more of.

Last edited by Riverracer; 03-23-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dogturd21
Joe Gibbs is an excellent team manager and businessman, and runs fine Nascar team. Joe Gibbs was also a well known football coach, and it was in this capacity that I met him a few times during his first stint with the Redskins, before his Nascar team took off. Like any party conversation, the topics veer off into all sorts of directions, but the wiser people tend to avoid politics unless its a political event (one of these was a political fundraiser). I can say with first hand knowledge that Joe Gibbs possesses very little technical background in automotive engineering- he leaves that up to the people that work for him or advise him. Joe Gibbs background was 100% football, from college until starting the Nascar team. He is an excellent manager and leader. Being successfull in managing and leading an orginazation frequently does not require in-depth knowledge of the product or the engineering that went into it, but having that in-depth knowedge certainly would help.

Joe Gibbs motor oil is just somebodies idea of making a few more bucks off of his name- in fact, until you pointed it out, I did not even know it existed. I cannot comment on the products quaility, and in fact I did not. I just pointed out that I personally was surprised that this product existed.

I rarely buy a product based on some celebrity endorsement, and on the rare chance that I buy a product like that, I sure as heck would like to know that the person endorsing the product understands that product, how it was made, why it was made in that manner, etc. I know first hand that Joe Gibbs does not, but of course I did not point that out earlier and you had no way of knowing my background.

If you took offense at my earlier comment, that was not my intention. But you are correct that I sometimes come across as condescending

Now, let me contrast this with my meeting Gen. Colin Powell many years ago. This guy knows cars...in fact his gear head knowledge, more for its breadth than its depth, was quite impressive. He spent a fascinating few minutes expounding on old Volvos, and what makes them both good cars and bad investments, the pros and cons of various Volvo engines and how they compared to the evolution of the GM sbc and bbc (the similarity in product evolution, not similarity of the actual product). He even digressed into why the M1 tank and M2 Bradley are such successfull armored fighting vehicles, due in part to its excellent performance of the engines and suspension, and how quickly they can be repaired in the field in the event of major mechanical failure (r&r a M1 engine in less than 2 hours ?) . The real challenge is keeping them supplied with fuel. " The US 1st Armored Divsion can go toe to toe with the best 3 Soviet armored divisions when they were at their prime. But the 1st Div would use just as much fuel as those 3 Soviet Divisions, maybe more!". (I am paraphrasing from memory).

I think my point is that Joe Gibbs, "in my opinion only", is stepping out of his area of expertise by slapping his name on a motor oil, and my cynical side sees it as a move to make a few bucks. There is nothing wrong with making a few $$, but it will not be my $$. If Colin Powell had endorsed a motor oil, I might take it a little more seriously.

Its just my opinion, dont take offense.
Dogtird,
Dude, I am still laughing over the screen name. I did work for the company that formulated the Joe Gibbs oil. But if I didnt I would agree 100% with you. Actually they have been working on that formulation 2 years before Labonte won the "Winston" cup. The formulation is through one of the larges oil additive companys. They create the technology that goes into many different lubrucants on the market. If money was no object, this is the oil I would run with compared to any out there. Sorry to make is sound like a commercial but, I will be more than happy to awnser any Q's as best as I can.

Jr.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Dogtird,
Dude, I am still laughing over the screen name. I did work for the company that formulated the Joe Gibbs oil. But if I didnt I would agree 100% with you. Actually they have been working on that formulation 2 years before Labonte won the "Winston" cup. The formulation is through one of the larges oil additive companys. They create the technology that goes into many different lubrucants on the market. If money was no object, this is the oil I would run with compared to any out there. Sorry to make is sound like a commercial but, I will be more than happy to awnser any Q's as best as I can.

Jr.
Not that I expect you to confirm or deny, but I would bet that company would be Lubrizol. correct ? If the oil was in fact " Joe Gibbs Race Team" then perhaps I would modify my thoughts somewhat. That said, my other opinion is that "race oils should only be used in racing machines !"

"Those are my principals, and I stand firm behind them. If you dont like them, well, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogturd21
Not that I expect you to confirm or deny, but I would bet that company would be Lubrizol. correct ? If the oil was in fact " Joe Gibbs Race Team" then perhaps I would modify my thoughts somewhat. That said, my other opinion is that "race oils should only be used in racing machines !"

"Those are my principals, and I stand firm behind them. If you dont like them, well, I have others." Groucho Marx.
I would have to agree about Lubrizol blending and packing Gibb's oil.

When did additive companies start becoming blenders and packers?
Ken
Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by minxguy
I wouldn't run Amsoil 20/50 in the drives.
Ken
I dont.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered

i know some karter's that 0w30 Amsoil in tranny and gearhousing!
gives them a few tenth's.
and yes, it hold together :
Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Amsoil 20/50 in the motors and drives.
Amsoil 20/50 Series 2000 racing oil in the motor and Amsoil Marine gear lube in the drive. We are going to Amsoil Severe Gear lube in the drive this year.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Amsoil 20/50 Series 2000 racing oil in the motor and Amsoil Marine gear lube in the drive. We are going to Amsoil Severe Gear lube in the drive this year.
Why are you going to the Severe Gear?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered

I have used the Amsoil Severe Gear in my outdrives before- It seems to work great, but I am concerned that since it is not a marine lube, that any water intrusion might be really bad, since it will not mix up and collect on the bottom.

Quick Reply: Marine Gas Engine Synthetic Race oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.