Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Exhaust manifold stainless bolts ? >

Exhaust manifold stainless bolts ?

Notices

Exhaust manifold stainless bolts ?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust manifold stainless bolts ?

Given all the problems with exhaust manifolds leaking and the bolts corroding, why do we not see stainless steel bolt kits ? I have personally had to drill out bolts to remove a manifold on two different occasions, and its a major pain in the azz- I always have to decide if its better to just remove the engine first.

No more helping a friend remove manifolds for me !! Anyhow, I sent a request in to ARP for a comment on this question- and I had previously asked a local stainless steel marine fastener reseller the same question- he thought it was sometime to do with different expansion characteristics and that the SS bolts would work loose quickly, but he was not certain. Any comments ?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Registered

Whenever I buy new manifolds from SMI - they come with stainless bolts. Now .. I have had to re-torque them after 25 or 50 hrs. I've heard, but never comfirmed, that the stainless will stretch sooner.

Anyone have a definate answer?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered

In looking at ARP's stainless bolts- they are rated at 170,000 lbs tensile strenght- IIRC this is even higher than a grade 8 bolt. But I have certainly run across stainless fasteners that seem soft.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also use stainless bolts. Infact when I purchased new manifolds for my Ski Centurian last year, they came with SS bolts. BTW, I have never had a problem with them becoming loose. I do retighten after the first heat cycle.

Darrell.

Last edited by DMOORE; 03-20-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: SP.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:50 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use stainless.

Stainless comes in different grades too. I wouldn't expect a grade 5 Stainless to stretch any more than a regular grade 5 bolt
Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Gold Member

Default ss bolts

i thank that the boat builders do not use ss bolts because of cost.maybe job security too.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dogturd21
In looking at ARP's stainless bolts- they are rated at 170,000 lbs tensile strenght- IIRC this is even higher than a grade 8 bolt. But I have certainly run across stainless fasteners that seem soft.
the soft ones are the import imposters....

that even get sold to the government
Old 03-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Registered

If anybody can point me to a set of good stainless bolts for BBC Gen V or VI manifolds, I would appreciate it. OR, if somebody can provide me with a regular set that I can use to cross match to ARP bolts, I would be much abliged. I am thinking about trying to put together a few SS sets for my friends.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dogturd, look on mercruiserparts.com for your motors exhaust bolts. They usually have the length, dia, and TPI on the parts listing. Then look on ARP.com and match them up with part numbers and order. I like the 3/8" bolts with 12pt heads that fit a 3/8" socket. Easy to get the socket onto them in tight places. A little bit of non-copper anitseize on the threads and they will last forever.

BTW merc carb 500HPs came with socket head stainless bolts on the exhaust manifolds, some accessories and the intake. I have never had a problem with the factory SS or ARP SS bolts. Also, I have gradually replaced almost all the fasteners for the bell housing, bracket etc and never had a problem.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For exhaust, motor mounts, etc, I take the hardened steel bolts (Gr. 5, 8, etc) and parkerize them, then dry-film coat them. No rust, no seize- ever. Takes a little bit of work but so does drilling one out of a head.

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold stainless bolts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.