Bravo engine convert to Alpha setup

Notices

Bravo engine convert to Alpha setup

Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo engine convert to Alpha setup

I need to convert a 2007 350 Mag MPI factory for Bravo setup to be coupled to an Alpha drive

How to wire the alpha drive shifting switch on the ECU? Bravo plate only has "in gear" sensor...

How to reroute the water cooling supply ?
Can I just take out the water impeller on the engine and attach the incoming water hose (from Alpha drive w/integrated impeller) ?

Big red water hose (entry) now is connected to water (impeller)pump. From water pump it goes (with a lot "bypasses" eg cool fuel pump, electrical sensor etc) to the oil cooler...

Or is a good idea to leave the impeller in the waterpump and having 2 impellers (1 in the drive, 1 on the engine)

Does anybody has the part # adapter harness 14 pins (new style) to old style boat harness (10 pins)

Thx for all info & ideas
Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

are you just starting with a boat minus the transom assembly??? why would you want to convert to Alpha??? the bravo is better all around.
But if you must....the holes in the transom will work as is right now...the bravo uses an extra two holes on the top for mounting studs that the Alpha does not. You can even re-use the bravo inner transom plate with the Alpha transom assembly.

As far as wiring the ECU...i think there was a topic on this a while back...maybe try doing a search for it....

Water supply...if it were me doing this conversion heres what i would do: Keep the stock sea-water pump mounted on the engine right now and install a thru-hull pickup......Also keep the impeller in the drive as well cause the drive needs it for cooling....just re-route the cooling hose backout of the boat and use it as a secondary drive shower You dont want to use both together as the engine mounted pump pulls WAY more water the the stock drive impeller....

no idea on the Part#'s...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx reply...
I know Bravo is better setup but customers boat is set up with alpha gimball and drive... so need to convert it...

No 2 way impellers makes sence...

But what about ECU / Alpha shift switch???
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I see what your doing now.....the ecm on the engine will probably need to be setup for the alpha shift interrupt....or if you want to cheat you can just have the standard micro-switch setup like the older versions had and momentarily kill the ignition like the older ones did...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!