Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trailer Brake Problems >

Trailer Brake Problems

Notices

Trailer Brake Problems

Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did the finish look like on the drums when you pulled it back apart? was it smooth, if so then the shoes should be seated in. Also make sure there are no "chatter" marks in the drum form the refinishing. Sometimes if the lathe is not set up right, the bit will chatter and make a consistent pattern in the refinished area. More commonly near the outside edge. If these marks are there then you need to refinish the drums again to get them out. But the good news is it is better! You are in the right area.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

BenPerfected , I had them turned at O'Reiles Auto parts.. They are pretty much worthless when it comes to anything that is not in there computer. I have had the shoes shaped on other brake jobs but they don't do it. It is a good idea though . I will check around to see about getting it done after the holiday weekend..
Tote-N-One, The finish looked good and smooth, I couldn't tell if there were any chatter marks. On the shoes I could see that they were contacting in the middle and not on the outer ends of the shoes. Exactly what BenPerfected was talking about.
I am going to sink it in the water this weekend and see what happens. Why not put some water and dirt in the test. Going to brake hard and hope it burns in. I will figure this thing out! At this point it is a matter of principle. At least I can drive it now. Before it was unbelievable.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some brake linings are more aggressive than others. Some brake linings become more aggressive than others during use and / or abuse. You may want to try new lining. You may want to try new lining that is different from that used before.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by turnerrd
My Ameritrail doesn't bounce when the brakes are applied, it just engauges real hard and on occassion will lock up the tire. Flat spotted two tires last year. Road side does it the most. I've tried running them loose and they hit too hard. I run them tight and it locks up . The shoes and everything are fine. I swapped drums side to side and no difference. Repaced the wheel cylinder, shock absorber in the tongue, no help. The line to the back is fine. About the only thing left is the master cylinder right? Let me know if you figure yours out. Ameritrail was stumped too.
Well Revd, I think you can rule out the master cylinder. I replaced mine, bled the sh*t out of them and it made no difference. Talking to Ameritrail the other day, they suggest to add brakes to the back axle. WTF! If thats the case why didn't they do that when they built the trailer. Structurally they are fairly nice but I really think they skimped in the brake dept.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

I will be getting some new brake shoes next week and install them and see what happens. The old ones look decent with lots of material left ,but at this point I've replaced everything else but the shoes. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Registered

Well my brakes are fixed!! As they should be as I just about replaced everything. I checked on new shoes and it was only $10 more for the complete brake assembly! (Backing plate,wheel cylinder, shoes, springs, everything) WTF. So I got the complete assembly. Installed everything, bled the brakes and preso!! Brakes worked perfect. Looking back onsome of the earlier posts ,I wish I had swiched over to a disc set up. At the time I figured I could fix the problem simply and already had money in both wheel cylinders.( Now I have 2 spares) and didn't think I would have to go this far to fix the problem.What I figure happened is the wheel cylinder stuck, got the brake and drum real hot and warped the drum and messed up the pads on one wheel. I am just happy it is all fixed and thank all of you for your help.

Turnerrd, Ameritrail's brake suplier is Quality trailer Products. You can buy direct form them at wholesale which is half what Ameritrail charges you. They have a branch in Angola, IN which can't be too far from you. There phone number is
1-877-730-3748. Also can check them out on the internet. If yours is chattering like mine was. I would turn the drums , buy the complete brake assembly's and that should fix your problems. Otherwise go the disc route.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Revd Up
Well my brakes are fixed!! As they should be as I just about replaced everything. I checked on new shoes and it was only $10 more for the complete brake assembly! (Backing plate,wheel cylinder, shoes, springs, everything) WTF. So I got the complete assembly. Installed everything, bled the brakes and preso!! Brakes worked perfect. Looking back onsome of the earlier posts ,I wish I had swiched over to a disc set up. At the time I figured I could fix the problem simply and already had money in both wheel cylinders.( Now I have 2 spares) and didn't think I would have to go this far to fix the problem.What I figure happened is the wheel cylinder stuck, got the brake and drum real hot and warped the drum and messed up the pads on one wheel. I am just happy it is all fixed and thank all of you for your help.

Turnerrd, Ameritrail's brake suplier is Quality trailer Products. You can buy direct form them at wholesale which is half what Ameritrail charges you. They have a branch in Angola, IN which can't be too far from you. There phone number is
1-877-730-3748. Also can check them out on the internet. If yours is chattering like mine was. I would turn the drums , buy the complete brake assembly's and that should fix your problems. Otherwise go the disc route.
Thanks Revd.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Registered

I put my new 10" brake assemblies on from Quality trailer and problem is fixed! They work great now, no clunking, locking up etc. Smooth as can be. Both brake assmblies where only like $80. The only thing I didn't get was galvanized back plate. Mine is just reqular powder coated steel. It should be just fine for fresh water dips anyways for a long time.
I'm still not exactly sure what was wrong with the old brakes. Everything appeared to be fine at first look. I'm just glad its fixed. Hopefully this thread will same someone else time and grief in the future.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

One other thing I did was to lay under the trailer and tighten every U bolt nut and fastener I could find. Also took a really close look at the axles to make sure there were no cracks and just did a real good visual inspection of everything.

Glad to hear your brake problem is fixed!