rocker / lifter noise???

Notices

rocker / lifter noise???

Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rocker / lifter noise???

Hi All

I trying to solve this upper engine noise so far I replaced the lifters adjusted them several times changed the cam , and upgraded to roller rockers and the noise is still there. I also change at the beginning of this project is the pushrods which are one piece style . I ran the engine and the oil pressure is 40 lbs at idle , with the valve cover off the oil is pumping out of the pushrod but not a real lot. Has anyone came across a problem with pushrod not mating up correctly with the lifter.The diameter is smaller with the one piece pushrod compared to the stock rod. The engine is a 98 502 and I changed evrything on the top end. The rockers clear the covers and the noise is still there with them off. Thanks for any suggestions that I be offered .
Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a couple where the rocker doesn't sit quite far enough down on the shoulder of the stud and has a bit of play front to back. It sounds just like the rockers out of adjustment. Give em a wiggle back and forth to check..
good luck
Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rocker sits on the thread portion of the stud. The are dart iron eagle heads. how much oil and presuure should you except see coming out of the rocker.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alecsammy
Hi All

I trying to solve this upper engine noise so far I replaced the lifters adjusted them several times changed the cam , and upgraded to roller rockers and the noise is still there. I also change at the beginning of this project is the pushrods which are one piece style . I ran the engine and the oil pressure is 40 lbs at idle , with the valve cover off the oil is pumping out of the pushrod but not a real lot. Has anyone came across a problem with pushrod not mating up correctly with the lifter.The diameter is smaller with the one piece pushrod compared to the stock rod. The engine is a 98 502 and I changed evrything on the top end. The rockers clear the covers and the noise is still there with them off. Thanks for any suggestions that I be offered .
Hey BIG Daddy took one apart last fall had a small noise changed rockers ,adjusted & same thing, boat still ran good pulled 5ooo rpm yanked the motor and pulled the pan to check the bearings and the crank was broke in half ... good luck
Old 04-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

At idle you probably wont see a lot coming out. as long as it's fairly consistent and none of them are dry you should be alright. Did you check to see if there's any play on the studs?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Hey BIG Daddy took one apart last fall had a small noise changed rockers ,adjusted & same thing, boat still ran good pulled 5ooo rpm yanked the motor and pulled the pan to check the bearings and the crank was broke in half ... good luck
Thank god for alcohol and vicodin
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
I thought I was the only one that kind of sh*t happened too!!!ROCK ON BIG DADDY!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Thank god for alcohol and vicodin
Dont forget the OXY &
Attached Thumbnails rocker / lifter noise???-pit-stop-hookah.jpg  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
1CE
Registered

Bill, some day I want to go to school with you ! @ least 1-day please- pretty- please- dude ! Rock On, Skater Nation it-is !

Last edited by 1CE; 05-04-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alecsammy
Hi All

Did you wipe a lobe on the other cam? If you did and didn't tear the whole engine down you probably have serious bearing issues now. I hope not for your sake. Did you cut down the valve guide stems for the seals or use merc seals? I had some interfering with my retainers once. Is your compression good all around? Maybe a bent valve?

Quick Reply: rocker / lifter noise???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.