Sea strainers?

Notices

Sea strainers?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea strainers?

There for staining the water before running through the cooling. Right? Is there any difference in any of them? Does anyone have any recomendentions?
During my tear down of my motors i found all type of crap in the oil cooler. This would help prevent? Do you need twin strainers for dual motors or will one work? Best place to get one?

Thanks for any help
David
Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hardin marine are good strainers, and you can get them from hardin or c.p performance.
stainless marine makes a nice set.

and 2 engines requires 2 strainers.
hardins are great due to the clear lid, ease of cleaning and universal intake and discharge ports. the also come with a 5th bung 3/4 pipe thread which can be used for a flush.

you may want to stay away from strainers that have a screw on lid or ones with multiple fasteners, as this will hinder you when cleaning if not corrode and freeze up.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wodster69
There for staining the water before running through the cooling. Right? Is there any difference in any of them? Does anyone have any recomendentions?
During my tear down of my motors i found all type of crap in the oil cooler. This would help prevent? Do you need twin strainers for dual motors or will one work? Best place to get one?

Thanks for any help
David

Call Sean at aftermarket marine he is set up at OEM for Hardin,they have the stainless fitting also

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/member.php?u=48326
Attached Thumbnails Sea strainers?-motor-2-6-2008-006-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Call Sean at aftermarket marine he is set up at OEM for Hardin,they have the stainless fitting also

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/member.php?u=48326
you may want to use radiused 90 degree fittings instead of fabricated 90's like the ones shown. not to knock them or you, but for every 90 like the ones shown its like adding 2-3 feet of 1 1/4 hose to you water system.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
you may want to use radiused 90 degree fittings instead of fabricated 90's like the ones shown. not to knock them or you, but for every 90 like the ones shown its like adding 2-3 feet of 1 1/4 hose to you water system.

Who makes the radius 90 in stainless?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Who makes the radius 90 in stainless?
We have them here
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
We have them here
That's a 90, not a radius 90.

I made some up a few years ago. I got some stainless tube and bent it in an electrician's hydraulic conduit bender. They were a little big on the radius part though.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the large radius style fittings your looking for? Difficult to get to work in so many cooling system applications due to the large overall area taken to make the 90 degree swing. If this will work for you great I can gladly provide you the fitting shown for $60,

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
That's a 90, not a radius 90.

I made some up a few years ago. I got some stainless tube and bent it in an electrician's hydraulic conduit bender. They were a little big on the radius part though.
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Registered

those are the best 90's to use. the large conical surface area of the basket or screen in the hardin unit is superior to most competitors in the same price range and then some.

if you have regular 90's strip get the ones cp has shown. just install them before you install the stainer.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
Is this the large radius style fittings your looking for? Difficult to get to work in so many cooling system applications due to the large overall area taken to make the 90 degree swing. If this will work for you great I can gladly provide you the fitting shown for $60,
That's more like it. Are they available with NPT threads on both ends? That would be perfect for making that bend up and in to the front of the strainer when they're mounted close to the bottom. You can use one with a hose barbto connect to your pickups, then one to connect to the other and into the strainer, making a nice, clean 180.

Quick Reply: Sea strainers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.