Mobil 1 V-twin Still Available?

Notices

Mobil 1 V-twin Still Available?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
what are the benifits of v twin vs there regular gold cap synthetic , im guessing it must hold up better to heat ? im guessing youre running in youre boats right ?
It is one of the slickest oils that is available....formulated to withstand the torture of the air-cooled V-twin motors.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
what are the benifits of v twin vs there regular gold cap synthetic , im guessing it must hold up better to heat ? im guessing youre running in youre boats right ?
V-twin is a Grp V. PAO and most everything else is now grp III. Redcap used to be Grp IV...a great prodect that is now gone. Silver and Goldcap are Grp III and Goldcap has some Grp IV. blended in it from what I have read. Goldcap is a real good product.

GRP V. bases do not tear apart under the very most extreme sheering forces. A True GRP V. is now selling from $9-10/qt.

RP and Redline 20W-50 are GRP V. as well.

It's all about marketing now since the lawsuite a few years back allowed grp III. to equal a "Fully Synthetic Label" on the bottle while before it took a minimum of a GRP IV. to have such status.

Valvoline and Castrol and much cheaper alternatives to non high performance Fully Syns they are "beefy Grp III.s" that behave much like Grp IV's and are less costly.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-27-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Registered

Will I benefit going to Mobil V-twin from Valvoline 40w (non-synthetic)? My engines are still under warranty, but will soon be out of warranty (engine builder will only cover if I use Valvoline. I change oil twice/year; about 15-20 hours for each change.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Will I benefit going to Mobil V-twin from Valvoline 40w (non-synthetic)? My engines are still under warranty, but will soon be out of warranty (engine builder will only cover if I use Valvoline. I change oil twice/year; about 15-20 hours for each change.
Why will he only cover it if you use Valvoline? As long at it meets or exceeds the same specs, it should be fine. A synthetic will always be more beneficial than a conventional oil. Lower operating temps, easier starting, better protection and on and on and on.....
Old 04-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Registered

Old school, I guess. But he specifically said no synthetics. Thought I might run an oil analysis after the 2 year period is up and then switch to a good synthetic.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Registered

listen to hydro, there is another thread here about everything you wanted to know about oils
Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

What kind of rockers/tappets are in the engines?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

FYI:I looked up the UOA for Valvoline 40wt conventional.

Zinc/Phos..kinda low...around 850 ppm was posted.

If they took away all synthetic oils and V-twin this would be in my boat's engine...

http://www.bradpennracing.com/Products/SAE40.html

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-04-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

I looked up Valv's 40 wt....I do not have a ZDDP level.

If I were using a conventional 40 wt I would strongly consider Brad Penn's oil below.

Order for the season from here...great pricing.

http://theoilwarehouse.com/?mainURL=...acing_Oil.html

Brad Penn also is the 30wt oil marketed by Briggs and Stratton and comes factory fill as well.

There really are fewer educated choices in 2008 to make in light of pressure to decrease ZDDP levels high performance boater's need but the one's in this thread work are fine for now anyways! Also, to make up for for less ZDDP you need a stronger base stock to begin with...

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-04-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

You may want mare ZDDP in the long run if you stick with conventional.

http://www.bradpennracing.com/Endorsements.html

http://theoilwarehouse.com/?mainURL=...acing_Oil.html

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-04-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 V-twin Still Available?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.