Is it possible, Im stumped

Notices

Is it possible, Im stumped

Old 04-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible, Im stumped

I have a 496Ho mag, with Dana Marine Exhaust, Some how im getting water in my oil, it doesnt appear that its coolant (I havnt lossed a huge amount of coolant) although Im planning to pressure test it somehow.. Anyways I have checked the oil cooler and it has pressure tested good.

Im wondering if its possible to have a manifold to riser gasket leaking, or my risor is leaking on the inside and the water is making it back to my oil? Seems the motor would lock up, hydra-lock, something, but who knows, I have the worst luck when it comes to this stuff.. Can someone shed some ideas, I dont have time to send a Oil sample off.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered

its probably your heat exchanger
Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Default help

Could you please explain why it would be heat exchanger, if that was broke/cracked how would it get into the oil? just curious..
Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaw 32
its probably your heat exchanger
I don't see how??????????

That would put water into the coolant or allow the coolant to leak out.

It could still be the oil cooler. I may not pressure test OK cold, but warmed up it may leak.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How hot is your engine running? If it's running too cold it may just be condensation.
otherwise I would think it would be reversion.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Test, Test,Test! Don't Guess, Guess, Guess!

288Sunny:

I believe I sent you an email response on how to pressure test your closed cooling system on your 496. I believe you said in an earlier post you were pressure testing your oil cooler. There are only three real ways water could get in the oil. One, you have developed a leak in the engine, the pressure test on the system i emailed will find that, two, your oil cooler is leaking, pressure testing that will find that, or three, your install on the Dana headers where you described a leak could have leaked water into an open exhaust valve and a small amount of coolant is leaking past the piston in a cylinder and into the oil.
Don't frustrate yourself and play the guessing game. Pressure test the entire cooling system with the pressure test tool I told you about, pressure test the oil cooler and if the Dana headers no longer have any issues, then check the oil again and see if the majority of the brown stuff is gone. Another question here, are you running a silent choice or quick and quiet exhaust system with the Dana headers? I have heard of some boaters who have run into some reversion issues with quick and quiet in some rare occasions, especially depending on how their exhaust system is plummed and routed out their transom, I hope you are not trying to run the exhaust out strictly thru the drive only.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar