Side to side at idle? >

Side to side at idle?

Notices

Side to side at idle?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side to side at idle?

Is this normal for a high performance v hull? Idling through the cove the boat walks from side to side really bad, almost hard to drive it?? I have dual ram hydro steering so i don't think the drive is moving, but you never know. I do get some serious chine walking over 78 on my 25 eagle. Is this normal for this hull?

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

i think its called hunting. happens in most boats i believe. possibly more prominent in single engine boats. i know mine does it worse with the motor up rather then down.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Registered

Default Just thought of this...

Blower surge?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Registered

This seems to be typical of fast hypo boats. You have a big prop etc. I have learned to just bairly lean on the steering once you correct....you will always be correcting(single engine) but you can slow down how many times you need to correct!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Single engine boats will always wander at idle. Its caused by the prop rotating one way.

Twins don't wander. The props spin opposite directions and counteract each other.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Registered

Default Hey Griff

You had an eagle, right? Let me run sumthin by you...I put that smaller pulley on last week, and it really does seem like it chine walks worse now. Boat is faster by a couple MPH, but do you think the higher boost pressure at WOT could be inducing some surging, which could be making it walk worse??

I know it sounds funny, but i SWEAR it is walking worse, can barely get to 81 now without it starting!! I have heard of some eagles +90 range but they do have tabs, is this truly the key on this hull??

THANKS!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Registered

Mine does it quite a bit too, It's just the nature of the beast.

blower surge is a surge in the idle of a roots type blower motor. it has nothing to do with the handling of the boat. You can hear a pretty good example of blower surge in the video link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJ4JWmL9As
Old 04-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Registered

Question Thanks jay

I was aware of the problem at idle..mine does it just like the video... I am sure that has to be making my wandering even worse, with the RPM variation and all...but I was wondering if it could happen at WOT, even slightly? Just enough overpressure in the manifold to cause a 50-100 rpm surge? Could this then cause the boat to "walk" at high speed? I am going to put that bigger pulley back on and I will give ya another update...

Thanks!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
Mine does it quite a bit too, It's just the nature of the beast.

blower surge is a surge in the idle of a roots type blower motor. it has nothing to do with the handling of the boat. You can hear a pretty good example of blower surge in the video link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJ4JWmL9As
that skater sounds badass!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Registered

I think you're getting outside my experience range now! Never had a blower motor, so I'm not sure if there is any surge left at high rpm. My guess would be no, but I can't say for sure. Chine walk may be a characteristic of the hull at higher speeds. Have you tried using some tab to compensate?

Are you boating at Grand this year? I'd love to check out the Eagle!

Quick Reply: Side to side at idle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.