Transom oil drain plugs?

Notices

Transom oil drain plugs?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Z06
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom oil drain plugs?

Anyone ever tried installing transom oil drain plugs for the newer engines with the oil pan drain hoses while the engines are in the boat? Do you need to use 3m 5200 on just the outside to seal the plug fitting or also from bilge side?

Seems like this would make draining the oil much easier.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Registered

what did you use for drain plugs? i was going to do the same. did you use a regular bilge drain plug? if so coat the hole after you drill it with resin, then just 5200 it from the outside.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Z06
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabfun
what did you use for drain plugs? i was going to do the same. did you use a regular bilge drain plug? if so coat the hole after you drill it with resin, then just 5200 it from the outside.

Not sure, the drain hoses have wires attached to the plug so they may be pulled thru the transom. Seems the transom plug needs to have an attachment point on the inside end to hook the wire onto. I haven't done this, just thought it was a good idea and looking for experienced advice.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered

me too.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Z06
Anyone ever tried installing transom oil drain plugs for the newer engines with the oil pan drain hoses while the engines are in the boat? Do you need to use 3m 5200 on just the outside to seal the plug fitting or also from bilge side?

Seems like this would make draining the oil much easier.

I had an old boat with a Mercruiser 470 (170hp 4-banger) that had one of these installed - it was the "best thing ever" for doing maintenance on the engine - it was mounted on the transom a couple inches to the side of the drain plug - pull the cotter pin, unscrew the allen head screw, let drain, pull filter, button everything up and done with an oil change in 15 minutes with no mess!

Where are yoy finding the ones that mount on the trasnsom? I did a quick look last time my engine was out and now that it's out again and you mentioned it - I've got to find one to put in....

If you have access to the oil sump to screw it on I wouldn't think it would be to difficult to install with the engines in the boat.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Just run a hose off the oil drain plug with plug in the end of the hose. Zip tie the hose in bilge somewhere. When you change oil just clip the zip tie and shove the hose through the regular bilge drain hole. No need to to drill a new hole with a new fitting.

Thats how I installed one on my Pantera and thats how they are on my AT.

If you can get to the oil pan drain plug, you can install it fairly easily.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I did it exactly how Griff explained. I also attach one of those $10 pumps that run off a cordless drill and it pumps all the oil into an old container in a matter of minutes.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Z06
Registered

Thanks guys,
The hoses are already on my 2002 496 Mag HO's from Mercury. I think they may also be on the 500's and 525's from Merc. Currently the end of the hoses are hooked near top of the engines, center of bilge, next to starboard engine oil filter.
I can't even see the center drain plug from inside the bilge. Although you have me thinking I should try running a wire in from the outside, hook onto the little wire on the end of the oil drain hose, and maybe I could do the temporary oil hose pull through as mentioned above.
The new Sonic 31ss has transom oil drain plugs directly under each outdrive but I would think this is done before the engines are put into the boat. I have also seen Formula Fastech's with 3 drain plugs on the transom, I assume the outer 2 are for oil drain.
This boat is new to me as of last fall, when I drained the oil during winterization I put empty plastic milk jugs in the bilge to drain the oil into by uncapping the hoses. The oil drains very slowly so I'm going to try the hose pump as mentioned above even if I do add the transom oil drain plugs.
Thanks again, this sounds like a common issue we would all like to make easier.