Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone Ever Buy Boat Long Distance >

Anyone Ever Buy Boat Long Distance

Notices

Anyone Ever Buy Boat Long Distance

Old 05-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Oklahoma and bought my boat from Lake George, NY. I had it surveyed and test driven, and it all looked great. The first time I saw the boat in person was when I met the seller in Cincinnati to make the transaction. Everything about the boat was right on except the hours. The boat had no hour meter, and my surveyor didn't hook up a scanner. I was told it had X hours by the seller, but he did say it was a guess and I believe him. It turned out to have about double the hours once we put a scanner on it, but you'd never know by the condition. As I said, I don't think the seller tried to put one over on me, I think it was an honest mistake. I'm happy with my purchase, and the hours don't matter now cause I've gone through the drive train! Just make sure to put a scanner on any MPI engine to know the true hours.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered

Found a boat in Ft. Lauderdale that was supposed to be a superduper double throw down, best ever deal in the world. Was told it was in Palm Beach condition, they even gave me the number for a mechanic who had been doing work on it, whom I call and he said it just needed a little work, but it was a great boat. Broker said it needed a little buff work on the hull and it would look like new. One of the outdrives needed to be repaired. It belonged to some rich guy who was supposed to have owned a marina and had deep deep pockets. Got my loan approved and decided I better go looke at it. Spent $800 on a ticket to fly 900 milles. When I got there I think the boat had been in Hurricaine Katrina and the wind had carried it from there to Ft. Lauderdale under water. When I leaned on the transom seat to look at the engines, I almost fell in because the back of the seat broke. It must have sunk because the inside smelled like the ocean and everything was mildewed. You better get a survey and go look at the boat before you buy it!!!! Oh, by the way, I didnt't buy it, I got one somewhere else and didn't get my $800 back.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:36 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I bought my last one 1200 miles away based on having Ed Cozzi survey it. With all these members, someone on here is close enough to give it a look for you, but that's no substitute for a survey.

I did the same 1200 miles away and flew in to view, sea trial and had Ed Cozzi survey her. Well worth it if your spending that kind of cash. You will certiantly spend a lot more if you don't get what you expected. My $.02
Good luck
Old 05-22-2008, 04:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pismo10
I simply did not pay until I picked it up in person. Checked it out, ran it, etc. Brought the cashiers check with me, paid and towed it home. 1300miles.
Same here.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by awsomethunder
Thinking about buying a boat 1300 miles away from me.was gonna have the boat surveyed and then shipped.any tips someone can give me on how to go about this.very concerned about paying out 50g and not seeing it until it hits my driveway.
Boat $50,000.00 Survey $1,200.00 Being there to see if it meets your approval--priceless.

I bought one long distance last August that was perfect, based on the sellers description. I've poured another $25,000 in and it's still far from that. Have not had 1 minute of enjoyment thus far.

Conversely, I bought one long distance from Pier 57 last month, and if anything it was better than Frankie described, and I've had nothing but enjoyment from the moment I got home with it. Thanks Pier 57.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered

Go look at it worth every penny.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go look at it - pictures lie!
You can not / will not see details that pictures will not show.
Go look at it.

Again - pictures lie!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
Registered

anyone near st.petersburg fl.boat is at lightning bay performance
Old 05-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Registered

I live in Phoenix/bought in Jacksonville. I got a feel for the seller... seemed legit. Took the fiance to JAX for a "working vactation" to check out the boat. Ed Cozzi surveyed it and the deal was done. Picked up the boat 2-3 weeks later. It's an excellent boat and I'm glad I did it the way I did. Do your leg work on the internet and telephone weed through the B.S. then buy an airline ticket, only you will know what the boat is worth to you. I want to see exactly what I'm getting for my $$$.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:51 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I sold a 28 Scarab to an individual in CA, it was a very clean boat, I sent him detailed photos & video. After a number of convesations he wired funds and sent a flatbed to pick up. He was pleased when he rec'd.

On flip side I was looking seriously at boat in TX, and paid for full survey & photo's. I then drove some 1700 miles to purchase and pull back. After 10 minutes I said no deal and drove back home. Suveyors definations were not the same as mine.

I would crawl all over a boat before buying. IMO suveyors only good for hull moisture check.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Buy Boat Long Distance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.