Engine Loading Question >

Engine Loading Question

Notices

Engine Loading Question

Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Engine Loading Question

A friend of mine just had a pair of 350's put together for his 1978 30' scarab. The boat originally had 330's with TRS and TRII trans. The motors are 9.5:1 compression with a nice cam (not sure of specs.) spinning 23 pitch bravo props for engine break in.

Oil pressure at idle was approx. 60-65psi cold with coolers.

He went out and ran it. Easy up on plane and never over 3400rpm for about 5 minutes. Then the oil pressure started to drop off. Now he is getting appox. 40-42 psi at idle and pressure drops to 15-20 under load.

I suspect a clearance issue or oil system problem. THe engine builder is trying to tell him that he is over loading the engines with the 23 pitch props causing the problem.

What do you guys think?????
Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil pres drop after running and getting hot is normal. My concern would be pressure falling under load never good. Do you have any oil coolers or remote filters that had to fill up with oil maybe the oil level is low now? As for over loading the engine thats BS trust me. Give me some rpm numbers with the oil pressure numbers.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Budz is right, as the engine breaks in, pressures will decrease,
lower at idle, 20-30psi hot, maybe even a litle lower, 5-10 at idle is all that motor needs,40-60psi off idle hot, oil pressure is in direct relation to rpm, not load, even if it was loaded so heavy it would not come up on plane, if the rpm's are there, so should the oil pressure.
Larry
Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Load causes heat which thins oil. If it thins it so much that he's losing pressure, that's bad. Since you don't cite an oil temp, I'll assume there's no gauge- that's VERY bad. Gauges cost lots less than engines.

First, change the oil in those motors- if you got it hot, it needs to be replaced. Install oil temp gauges. Then, start looking for causes. If there's no external oil cooler, there needs to be. If they're too small, that's way worse than no cooler at all. Too small of lines and sharp-angle fittings are engine killers too. If you still have the same pressures you cite, you have a serious internal problem. A big block Chevy needs more than 40 PSI at running speeds- over 50 at least.

There should be very little break-in with a modern, properly machined engine. The bores should have virtually no wear-in. That cross-hatch should be visible in the bores for some time. Modern rings are made-to-size. The don't wear to the bore anymore. At least not in any significant way that resembles how engines used to break in rings. Besides, rings have nothing to do with oil pressure. The bearing clearances should not be opening up. If they do, it's because the crank is touching the bearing inserts and wearing the surfaces- that's not only bad, it's fatal.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 06-17-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The boat does have 12" coolers. No oil temp gauge. I've seen these boat run with small blocks with no problem before. Just trying to figure out what my buddy is up against. The motors are coming out this weekend so I can look at them and see what is happening. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If by 12" coolers you mean the black Merc one's that have the two fittings on the side and a spiral tube inside the cooler, those are OK for transmissions. They are way too restrictive for an engine. Keep in mind, your entire engine flow has to go through there. The internal diameters are about 1/4". Then take into account the restrictions you add in an adapter, fittings, elbows and lines and you can cut oil flow by half just simply adding a cooler.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered

none of this makes any sense.

first... the boat ran before in this configuration so it should run now. the coolers , the lines, the angles, the fittings, while maybe not world class spec, all worked before as a system and should work now.

second... let assume he's running 300 degree oil... fine. the pressures went from good to garbage because it got thin . so why would it idle at 45 ? if its thin it would make 0.0 at idle.

third, as mentioned above, because the oil pump is a positive displacement device, the volume and as such the pressure is a strict function of rpm. more revs = more volume = more pressure UNLESS :

a) the relief valve is broken
b) the oil is not getting back to the pan
c) the motors just don't have enough oil in them
d) the pickup has broken off the pump.

no scenario i know will give a hot motor MORE oil pressure at idle then at higher revs...

unless of course its some bizzare electrical issue w/ the sending unit... but of course you have confirmed all this with a mechanical gage...

rite ?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Registered

Cut the oil filter open before you even attempt to identify/diagnose the problem. Looking for the flakes of death of course between the pleats. Go from there.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Registered

what oil filter is on there????
Old 06-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran 23 inch props on my 78 scarab with 454 420HP's. I would guess that boat needs 19's or 21's at most. Still seems unlikely that it would hurt oil pressure that much. Start with the simple things first. Change the oil and filter.Cut open the filter and look for gold. Put an oil temp guage on it, all perf. boats should have them. All of my boats have had them right from the factory. Make sure the plumbing and coolers have enough capacity. If all else fails the engines will have to come out.

Quick Reply: Engine Loading Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.