My buddy's friend has an Outboard Problem >

My buddy's friend has an Outboard Problem

Notices

My buddy's friend has an Outboard Problem

Old 02-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My buddy's friend has an Outboard Problem

My buddy's friend is having problems removing the powerhead off the lower unit. It is a salt water boat.
It is a 1992 mercury 200 offshore series, 2.5 liter v6 (i think it's called a 200xl). There are 10 stainless steel studs that are either cast or threaded into the block that extend down through the lower unit and are secured by nuts. Once the nuts are removed, the powerhead lifts off, BUT, the studs go through a good bit of aluminum (2 of them are prob 10 inches long) and the salt corrosion has worked its way around the studs and are keeping the thing from coming off.
Any advise would greatly be appreciated. I know this is not the correct place to post but need help quickly, Mike. I will post in O/B also.
You can send him an email at [email protected]

Last edited by MIKEHTMSR24; 03-31-2002 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Get ready for some fun!!! i got 3 of them on my boat and learned alot. get a hoist , heat up the sides where the long studs go thru. keep pressure on it with the crane and pry under the front studs on top of the steering bar its strong and wont break and pry in the back also with the nuts on the studs,more heat also. try banging the long studs to get the corrosion out of the housing,more heat, then if that doesnt work get some thin wood working chisels and force them between the block and lower to pry power head up.more heat. if that dont work drill holes sideways thru the housing into the stud to cut it,but that is if it is really bad and you can fill up the holes with black silicone and only you and i will know that haha. ive had my 30 footer of the trailer by the transom with the head stuck ,and boy when it gets free,you know it. good luck tripps
Old 03-31-2002, 08:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got another way. Get an air chisel with a round point or flat chisel bit. With the powerhead suspended slightly slowly go around to each of the studs and hit them with the air chisel. About the second or third time around the powerhead will pull loose.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:08 AM
Greg Moss

Cool this is how it's done

Man I am on the Gulf coast and see this all the time. I do use a hoist but do not beat on the motor. I chain the lower unit to a 1 by 3 steel tube that is pretty heavy wall under the front legs of the shop crane. Chain the powerhead to the top arm and also run some safty chains to the from the powerhead and the legs. This will catch it if it breaks loose unexpectedly. Heat the metal around the studs and get a big sledge hammer. tighten up on the crane to get as much tension on it as you can. Beat the bar under the legs and this will jar it loose.It may take a while to get it apart but it will not break anything doing it.

Old 04-09-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the powerhead has not been off since '92 you may have a corroded shaft and spline, I have seen this happen before and it had to be cut to allow removal of head, I am not much help, amI?