Breaking Roller Rockers! >

Breaking Roller Rockers!

Notices

Breaking Roller Rockers!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breaking Roller Rockers!

So I'm having some issues with breaking rocker arms for some reason. I have a simple setup 502-AFR heads-Crane 741 cam- Comp Pro magnum roller rockers- Morel lifters.
What I did was copy the engine I built last year for my Velocity and put the pair of them in my 33 Powerplay. The new engine is the one that's giving me crap. So far I have broken 2 rocker arms. 1 was the first trip out (#7 intake) the 2nd was the this weekend (#8 exhaust). The bottom half of the rocker is breaking off.

I'm loosing faith quickly in the Comp Pro Magnums. Anyone else have any problems with these? I'm thinking I got a bad batch or something. My vavle geometry is perfect.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

Here are some pics of the carnage.
Attached Thumbnails Breaking Roller Rockers!-dsc03332-large-.jpg   Breaking Roller Rockers!-dsc03330-large-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered

I'm going to order a new set today. I no longer trust these. But I'm not sure what to get now. I thought these were supposed to be pretty tough.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What pushrod guide plates do you have? The guideplates need to be AFR or modified stock to make the U slot longer due to the intake valve geometry on the AFRs or the pushrod will hit the back side of the guide plate. Mine broke the guideplate so it is unlikely that the rocker arm would break but.....

I use Crane Golds no issues for 3 years with AFR 305's. One set is wide body stock from Merc and the other set is the "regular" Crane golds.

Have you been working with RMBuilder?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
What pushrod guide plates do you have? The guideplates need to be AFR or modified stock to make the U slot longer due to the intake valve geometry on the AFRs or the pushrod will hit the back side of the guide plate. Mine broke the guideplate so it is unlikely that the rocker arm would break but.....

I use Crane Golds no issues for 3 years with AFR 305's. One set is wide body stock from Merc and the other set is the "regular" Crane golds.

Have you been working with RMBuilder?
My guideplates are the ones that came from AFR. I didn't notice any scaring on my pushrod when I removed it either.
I haven't talked to Bob recently, but he was a big help with my setup last year.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Frank
Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Improper pushrod length could be your issue.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Registered

The way I set my pushrod lenght was using an adjustable pushrod I put white metal marker compound on the valve and cycled and adjusted the length till I got the smallest wipe on top of the valve. The roller tip ended up pretty much in the center of the valve.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

Any chance the valve springs are coil binding?
Old 06-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Registered

Wow that rocker saw som heat. Make sure the pushrod is not clogged! Looks like someone was welding on the thing.
For some reason it was not getting any oil.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you're at least close enough on length. Coil bing- or right very close to it is the next bess guess. That would cause those stresses and the heat. Oiling issues can also contribute. I was looking at the broken side and completely missed the opposite where it's discolored. Are they all blue under the bearing?

Changing rockers won't do anything but change the color of broken rocker pieces in your collection. Those Comp rockers are about as tough as it gets.

Quick Reply: Breaking Roller Rockers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.