Ignition System >

Ignition System

Notices

Ignition System

Old 06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition System

I have a Cigarette with twin 454's and I was thinking of upgrading the ignition system. Any suggestion or places to look. Or anyone have a set for sale? Really dont know where to start.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered

there is a basic concept in engineering... " never fix something that isn't broken"

if your 454's run well and you pull the plugs and they are clean then the combustion process is complete and adequate and there is nothing at all to be gained by changing it.

and in my opinion from years and years of dealing with aftermarket systems, their claims of increased performance are just absolute bullsh*t and a great many of them are just flat garbage. unless you have changed something and the demands on the ignition system are now extra ordinary for some reason, keep it stock and simple and well maintained and you will still be boating while your buddies are getting towed in and throwing away their 5th msd 6 of the season.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
there is a basic concept in engineering... " never fix something that isn't broken"

if your 454's run well and you pull the plugs and they are clean then the combustion process is complete and adequate and there is nothing at all to be gained by changing it.

and in my opinion from years and years of dealing with aftermarket systems, their claims of increased performance are just absolute bullsh*t and a great many of them are just flat garbage. unless you have changed something and the demands on the ignition system are now extra ordinary for some reason, keep it stock and simple and well maintained and you will still be boating while your buddies are getting towed in and throwing away their 5th msd 6 of the season.

Right On! Merc Thunderbolt IV works incredibly well, is reliable and if you did have a problem, the entire system can be diagnosed with a test light.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

TB IV is about as reliable as it gets. My TB IV on my 500hr 525SC with 550hp never missed a beat. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

Well I believe that it is broke the machanic at the marina says the iginition is the really old setup (I cant remeber what he called it). When the batteries get low the boat runs like hell or will die on me. Also when I run it up to full throttle it wants to cut out a bit. I dont want anything crazy I just want to upgrade to something more efficient.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would look for a pair of Thunderbolt IV distributors and modules. Try to get V8-HP modules if you can.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Registered

Talk to 64ls1nova. He brought a set of these. He is very pleased and half the price of a MSD setup. I'm thinking about switching over myself. THey want you cam spec's to set them up.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm