Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
hours on new engine >

hours on new engine

Notices

hours on new engine

Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil t-stat. You have a remote oil filter and an adapter mounted on the block. Somewhere in between you have a cooler. What an oil thermostat does is divert oil from the cooler until it reaches operating temperature. Oil that doesn't reach 121 degrees can't shed the moisture that it inherently collects from the marine environment. Plus, if you have a big cooler and don't run hard alot, your oil temp will stay below it's optimum operatingf temp- not good for the oil or the motor. Read up- http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...3&page=1&pp=20

I'm trying to recall how the EMI tails add water. If thy're like the Gils, at the very end there's a small opening between the inner jacket and the outer tube- like an part where the tube was pried up. Compare this to a manifold like the Mercruiser- where the elbow is right on top. There's a mixer in there that dumps water right into the exhaust stream. Too much water too close to the engine for any sort of cam with overlap. Anyway- like my description of the Gils- if your pipes exit the transom, there's no reason the inside dump can't be closed off and a bung welded at the bottom for water to drain. If you have a rubber hose connecting your tails to thru-hull tips, you have to mix water before that- otherwise the rubber will melt and possibly catch fire. I'm not sure what you mean about s-pipe. A pic would help. EMI should be able to make you a set of long dry tails that go thru-transom.