Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine temp for a supercharged 502? >

Engine temp for a supercharged 502?

Notices

Engine temp for a supercharged 502?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine temp for a supercharged 502?

Whiple has these engines running cold. I mean real cold, 100 degrees is about the most I have seen. The problem is when I first fire up and idel, the engine doesn't get a chance to get warm. I know there is a restriction plate instead of a thermostat, but wouldn't a thermostat set for 100 or so work the same?

I ask because I am concidering installing one.

I boat in cold water year round, I am not down south. I am afraid of not burning the fuel the way a 502 ci should at idel .

I undertand that the temps are kept cool to reduce the chance of predetonation and because I'm running aluminum heads, but I still think a thermostat would work nice.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the water outlet you are currently using, a t stat can rob your exhaust of cooling water until the T stat opens.. If you have a by pass then you could get away with a cold & I mean cold t stat.. Like 120*.. The engines are run on the cool side to help reduce detonation & increase power.. I personally like to see boosted stuff running as cool as possible without loading up. It gives you a little more buffer zone & hp.. Jamie
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Registered

I will look into the water supply to the exhaust. And we were thinking about a 120 degree stat.

Thanx.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Registered

it is not a popular opinion around here but i still like to see the temps at at least 140. its true that the extremely cold temps will allow max boost for longer but compared to the damage they do and increased wear the other 95 % of the time, i don't see it as the correct trade off. i would like to think that you could get the fuel curve right to keep the egt's at full boost under control at 140 deg of water temp and not need the crutch of unreasonably and destructive overcooling.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
I will look into the water supply to the exhaust. And we were thinking about a 120 degree stat.

Thanx.

No problem.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Registered

Please the potential hijack, but I've got a related q. 502 procharger in Seattle want to run 120 t stat. How to plumb a bypass to cool exhaust? Also, where to re-locate tstat sender? I assume the bypass will flood the tstat housing with cold water, so I need to find another location for tstat sender. already using tap at front of manifold for merc's system tstat, so need to find another site for gauge sender.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered

Please the potential hijack, but I've got a related q. 502 procharger in Seattle want to run 120 t stat. How to plumb a bypass to cool exhaust? Also, where to re-locate tstat sender? I assume the bypass will flood the tstat housing with cold water, so I need to find another location for tstat sender. already using tap at front of manifold for merc's system tstat, so need to find another site for gauge sender.

Any thoughts on that?
I just changed mine over to what you want to do, I drilled and tapped out manifold for temp sending unit. I will post some pics tomorrow when i get a chance.

Greg
Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Registered

I spoke to my engine guy yesterday, he's all for putting in a 120 stat cause thats how he built the engine (piston and ring tolerences etc) . I've been phucking around for the past month with this engine and getting efi right. We have it bang on now, so I think I'm just going to drive it and have fun for now. Try and learn the engine temps ovver the coming months to see if it runs close to 100 for most of my driving, or if it stays very cold. Decide then.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

If engine clearances are built correctly for cold water temp, oil temp (low/high) is more of a concern.

However, water temp can greatly influence oil temp. Some people have a hard time warming up oil enough or fast enough, even with oil t-stat, because of low water temp and boating in cold water.

Last edited by SB; 07-08-2008 at 05:32 PM.