Racing Oil Filters >

Racing Oil Filters

Notices

Racing Oil Filters

Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Oil Filters

I am moving from the Fram Racing HP4 filter to the Wix Racing filter (equivalent, can't remember the part number). I notice on the box a warning that say something like this: "Not meant to be used in passenger vehicles, premature engine wear may result".

I think this has been discussed here before, but I still don't see how a filter that has higher burst pressure, better high temperature gasket, improved filtration, and better flow than a non-race filter could cause premature engine wear in a passenger car. Do my 509 MPI's, 500HP BB's qualify for a "racing application" in Wix terms?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DORaymond
I am moving from the Fram Racing HP4 filter to the Wix Racing filter (equivalent, can't remember the part number). I notice on the box a warning that say something like this: "Not meant to be used in passenger vehicles, premature engine wear may result".

I think this has been discussed here before, but I still don't see how a filter that has higher burst pressure, better high temperature gasket, improved filtration, and better flow than a non-race filter could cause premature engine wear in a passenger car. Do my 509 MPI's, 500HP BB's qualify for a "racing application" in Wix terms?
I actually believe they don't have as good of a filtration, to help increase flow. That is why you can get away with them on boats because, last time I checked, you're not driving boat in dusty and dirty conditions.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Registered

I sure don't want to loose any filtration. Aren't the Wix Racing filters used in off road racing engines? That is a pretty harsh environment.

Last edited by DORaymond; 07-03-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Interesting debate on oil filters... flow vs capture...

Solution...change the oil often and capture becomes less of an issue.

With big blower engines gasoline getting in the oil from blowby is a huge issue...frequent oil changes a must.

So I don't sweat it if a filter captures around 20 microns or so on any stock engine run hard abover a stock 502.

my .02

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-03-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered

Hydrocruiser - are you referring to the "racing" Wix or the regular Wix? If the racing filters flow and filtration are good, why would they not recommend using in a "stock" application?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by DORaymond
Hydrocruiser - are you referring to the "racing" Wix or the regular Wix? If the racing filters flow and filtration are good, why would they not recommend using in a "stock" application?
I believe that max flow takes priority in engines with big oil pumps etc...so capture is the lesser issue...but changing oil quite frequently is the trade off.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Registered

Is the flow increased by the less filtration in the Racing filter? I've noticed that in the Wix Racing filter 51061R there are only 6 return holes and there are 8 return holes in the HP4. Also the HP4 holes are larger in diameter. Why the difference?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by Drag 'N' Ass
Is the flow increased by the less filtration in the Racing filter? I've noticed that in the Wix Racing filter 51061R there are only 6 return holes and there are 8 return holes in the HP4. Also the HP4 holes are larger in diameter. Why the difference?
The lower the micron capture the more restrictive the filtration becomes in most cases.

Another solution if you want both high flow and filtration is to go to a dual filtration system and might as well add a pre-luber while you are at it.

Depends on the application and size of wallet.

Truthfully, a Wix Racing Filter is a real good choice for most any offshore applications.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-03-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

why not have both ? and never buy another filter I use go power hp6 style filters http://www.gopurepower.com/ for the money its a perm. filter
Old 07-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by eliminatethis

why not have both ? and never buy another filter I use go power hp6 style filters http://www.gopurepower.com/ for the money its a perm. filter

What is the cleaning process like...how do you clean it?

Quick Reply: Racing Oil Filters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.