Help needed again..... >

Help needed again.....

Notices

Help needed again.....

Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help needed again.....

I have a problem that I need some help with. I am looking for ideas as to what may be causing the problem so here goes....

I was running in a poker run near my home about a month ago when it all started....
Ran the boat for about an hour with normal throttling....no problems. I slowed down for a bridge and the starboard motor died.
I tried unsuccessfully to restart for about 30 mins before giving up.

I bring the boat to my mechanic and he pulls the fuel filter and finds it full of water.
He then drains the fuel tank and finds a little water in the fuel.
After he puts the fuel back in, minus the water, he changes plugs and cleans out the carb.
I pick the boat up and take it for a 3 to 4 hour run in which I have to change the fuel filter once because the engine starts missing a bit.
After I change the filter it runs good.
I was told I may have to do this a few times...no problem.

About 2 weeks later I go to prep the boat for the weekend and decide to run both motors to make sure everything is good.
The port motor fires up immediately...I run it for about 3 mins on the hose...no problems.

I try the starboard motor and it turns over but doesn't start. It is doing the exact same thing it was doing when I was broke down on the poker run.
I pull the fuel filter and pour the fuel into a glass jar and let it settle for about 30 mins while I do some cleaning on the boat.

The fuel looks good in the jar...no water.
I put the filter back on and try to start the motor with starting fluid...nothing.
It sounds like it is not even trying to start.....
I call my mechanic and he tells me the carb could possibly be clogged and that I should bring it in.
Now even if the carb was clogged shouldn't spraying starting fluid directly into the carb at least start the motor for a brief moment?

I am a true novice when it comes to these HP motors so I really don't know what it could be.....
Is it the carb?
Is it plugs?
It does have spark...I checked.

What has me really confused is why does only one motor seem to be picking up water when both motors pull from the same tank?

Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated.
I am just trying to figure this out before spending more money on repairs I may be able to do myself.

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I dont mean to insult you, but you said you are a novice.. How and where did you check for spark? Unless there is something more seriously wrong, an engine should start when both fuel and spark are there. Sounds to me like one isnt. Yes, you are right. Regardless of the internal condition of your carb, spraying some ( not too much) starting fluid down it, will bypass the carb. If there is a fuel problem, the engine will at least run for a few seconds on starting fluid.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Registered

I checked for spark by pulling the wire on the dist. cap.
That is what I was told to do to check for spark.

I was pretty sure that was the case with the starting fluid.

I can't wait to repower with some 540's.....

Thanks Vinny.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Registered

you know more about 540's then you do about these ? sounds more like your mechanic should be on speed dial.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Chuck,

Simply pulling a wire away the cap and allowing the spark to jump does check if spark exists. However, a weak spark will still jump that small gap. Firing a spark plug puts a greater load or resistance on spark than pulling the wire back from the cap a bit. The best way to check for spark is at the end of the plug wire, with a spark tester. Like this..

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-2756.html

This simple tool, simulates an actual plug. Also, it will test the wire all the way down to the plug. The way you tested it, you may have spark at the cap, but the wire may be bad and you would never know it.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

I don't claim to know much about ANY engines but I do know they have high hours and the 540's will be fresh so I hope not to have as many problems.

If you can't help why respond????

Originally Posted by stevesxm
you know more about 540's then you do about these ? sounds more like your mechanic should be on speed dial.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHUCK
If you can't help why respond????
You rang?

sorry man- couldn't resist. I know it sucks- I hate it when my boat is not working right.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Registered

Vinny,
The motor has all new wires, plugs and distributor with less than 5 hours on them. Al of this was checked recently because the motor was popping out of the carb and it turned out tobe a cracked dist. cap.

After that was fixed it ran fine until the water problem.
Now if that somehow could cause problems with the electrical then maybe we are on to something....

Originally Posted by Vinny P
Chuck,

Simply pulling a wire away the cap and allowing the spark to jump does check if spark exists. However, a weak spark will still jump that small gap. Firing a spark plug puts a greater load or resistance on spark than pulling the wire back from the cap a bit. The best way to check for spark is at the end of the plug wire, with a spark tester. Like this..

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-2756.html

This simple tool, simulates an actual plug. Also, it will test the wire all the way down to the plug. The way you tested it, you may have spark at the cap, but the wire may be bad and you would never know it.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

Man you get around!!!

I just want to go enjoy a weekend w/o having to fix something.

Originally Posted by marylandmark
You rang?

sorry man- couldn't resist. I know it sucks- I hate it when my boat is not working right.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Your original complaint sounded like a fuel problem, but when you said the engine still didnt start after squirting ether down the carb, that puzzled me. Thats what made me think it may be something else.

Quick Reply: Help needed again.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.