Questions on 565 Whipple Build-Up. >

Questions on 565 Whipple Build-Up.

Notices

Questions on 565 Whipple Build-Up.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you have a 502 mag belt system, that will still work but we'll maybe have to make a custom crank pulley adapter.[/QUOTE]

Actually, its from a 454 Magnum, but I am sure its the same set up. I was thinking that the crank pulley from a 575 SC may just fit. My forward space is very limited. I will measure the distance between the bulkhead and my existing crank pulley tomorrow. How much more forward room will I need to mount the crank pulley?

When you get the chance, can you send me a quote on a kit?

Thanks

Last edited by Vinny P; 07-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
looks like you have a 502 mag belt system, that will still work but we'll maybe have to make a custom crank pulley adapter.

Actually, its from a 454 Magnum, but I am sure its the same set up. I was thinking that the crank pulley from a 575 SC may just fit. My forward space is very limited. I will measure the distance between the bulkhead and my existing crank pulley tomorrow. How much more forward room will I need to mount the crank pulley?

When you get the chance, can you send me a quote on a kit?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

If space is limited, we have a serp kit that fits behind the factory accessories, but you have to remove the circ pump, doesn't work with it. Which means you need to go away from closed cooling. Otherwise, I can make an adapter, the 575sci pulley will not work.

Dustin
Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I currently have a real nice 540. Makes about 700 hp. I am in the process of gathering parts for a new engine. I have a Dart block, 4.375" Callies Magnum crank, 6.385" Lunati Pro Mod Rods. Originally, I was thinking of just building an NA 565" , not so much for any additional power over my 540, but just to have a fresh bottom end ready to go. Then, the bug or disease that we all have started bitting me. I am now thinking of building a supercharged 565. I build all my own engines, but have never built a supercharged engine before. I wanted to go with a Whipple. I havent talked to Dustin yet, hopefully he will see this and chime in. Anyway, would a 3.3 or a 5.0 be the right choice? Not looking to make real crazy power, maybe 850-900 with the right pulleys. Then as all you blower guys do, swap pulleys if I only feel the need for less power. I understand the theory of spinning the 5.0 slower than a 3.3, less heat with bigger blowers, etc.. But, I am thinking that the 3.3 would be enough. I was wanting to use my AFR315CNC heads from my 540. Dont want the extra expense of another set of heads. I have heard that there has been an issue with rear bearing failures, any truth to that?
My next hurdle would be the fact that I run only in salt water and refuse to give up my closed cooling system. I would have to relocate the heat exchange tank. Currently, it sits on top of the engines water pump. I am thinking I can mount it down in the bilge. Plumbing it would not be too big a problem, but would the water pump handle pushing the water down to the heat exchanger and back up to the engine? I am fairly confident it can at speed but what about idling through no wake zones? Obviously, a crossover is not an option.

Just caught that you had a question in regards to the bearings, absolutely no truth to that, no bearing issues what so ever. The small blowers, when turned past their peak speed, saw shorter bearing life, but certainly not a "problem".
Old 07-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dustin,

I measured my clearances. I have 2" between the front of my stock Merc crank and the bulkhead. I also measured from the block forward. Using a standard location on the block ( I measured from the 4 holes in the front of the block, on either side of the timing chain, to the bulkhead ), I have 8".

Thanks