Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Blower Motor, Aluminum Shavings in Motor. >

Blower Motor, Aluminum Shavings in Motor.

Notices

Blower Motor, Aluminum Shavings in Motor.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
read a plug from that pic... Now thats funny

Did you find any metal in the intercooler ????? Ours got caught in the cooler fins ...
No intercooler. I did find some stuck to the plugs. Did a compression test and it had more compression than last year due to new headgaskets.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you got a pic of your rotors in your blower? Where did you get it rebuilt? I might have a similar issue.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Registered

I do have pics...just not at work with me. I will post some when I get a chance. I was told that these blowers are adjusted by shimming the gears in and out and that it does not have a robust fastening system to keep the rotors in time. I have not torn the blower down yet to see what came out of adjustment. I am new to forced induction so somebody chime in if I was told wrong here.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be great. Thanks. The guys at The Blower Shop seem to think I lost a bearing and that is what caused the rotors to hit and get all ground up.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Registered

My rotor hit the top of the case on the cross bar that connects to the opposite case side. The gooey aluminum wadded up on the one rotor and created a wedge locking it up.

Anybody know if they can rebuild a blower in this state? Can the case be repaired? Can the rotors be repaired?

Is yours a Weiand 256?

Last edited by JRider; 08-28-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRider
On the 4th my blower self destructed rotors hitting the case. What happens the shavings that go through the motor? I would think on a NA motor the cam overlap would blow them out if the did not melt in the chamber. How does this work on a Blower motor? Should I be worried in any way? Maybe do a compression check?
JRider
Take the engine apart!!!

I've seen things as small as a pencil tip destroy an engine, and have watched items the size of a washer get spit out of the exhaust without hurting a part.

For the cost of a set of gaskets to take the engine apart and inspect it, it's not worth not doing.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
My rotor hit the top of the case on the cross bar that connects to the opposite case side. The gooey aluminum wadded up on the one rotor and created a wedge locking it up.

Anybody know if they can rebuild a blower in this state? Can the case be repaired? Can the rotors be repaired?

Is yours a Weiand 256?
rebuild a blower in this state???
Hey BIG Daddy Darrin Meyers Performance is in Mich and has done my 1471s all the way down to the 177s
talk to Brian at 269-428-5070 last i talked to him the were coming out with there own line of marine blowers this fall and was pretty reasonable
good luck
Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered

So...after the blower siezed, popped the belt off and it would not go past 800rpm in gear! I had the slowest tri-tune on the lake! Idled back to the sand bar, cracked a beer and wrote the day off. A guy walks up and says he has a W256 straight from merc on his garage shelf! $1100 and its yours...showed up on the marina dock the next morning and was out on the lake july 4th by 11am. The blower still had blue masking tape on it from merc. Mailed the guy a check the next week!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RumRunner
Take the engine apart!!!

I've seen things as small as a pencil tip destroy an engine, and have watched items the size of a washer get spit out of the exhaust without hurting a part.

For the cost of a set of gaskets to take the engine apart and inspect it, it's not worth not doing.
Motor is coming apart this fall and getting a whipple and cooler. Has 10hrs since the incicent and compression was better than last year. I will take my chances on this one...our 3 month MI boatin season is coming to a close.