Synthetic Motor Oil or NOT  ??? >

Synthetic Motor Oil or NOT ???

Notices

Synthetic Motor Oil or NOT ???

Old 07-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Motor Oil or NOT ???

I know this forum has lots of info on the subject but I still don't have a feel for which motor oil to use for my app.
I have a pair of HP500 carb engines which the previous owner used 15w50 Mobile1 in it religiously.When I dissambled the engines I found a roller lifter with a flat spot on it.As of now I have a fresh pair of 557 strokers @675hp with hydrolic roller cam setup with higher lift cam than stock .My oil temps run a little high at 230*with 3" coolers.I really would like some real experiences with roller/cam engines that have been dissambled that have been run with syn crankcase oil.HP500'S if possible.
Please no hearsay aka: "friend of a friend stuff" or I heard this.....
Bottom line is:
Is it OK to run synthetic oil with roller cam setup?

Dennis

Last edited by StrikinLightnin; 07-12-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Long editorial short. If you change oil often, don't waste your money. One is as good as the other in terms of lubricating properties especially today's quality oils. If you're bad about getting around to changing it, then synthetic will not break down as fast and subsequently last longer.

Synthetics in outdrives may be better because of their higher tolerance to heat. But it would need to be marine tolerant in terms of resisting the mixing of water with the oil causing it to lose it's lubricating properties.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by StrikinLightnin
I know this forum has lots of info on the subject but I still don't have a feel for which motor oil to use for my app.
I have a pair of HP500 carb engines which the previous owner used 15w50 Mobile1 in it religiously.When I dissambled the engines I found a roller lifter with a flat spot on it.As of now I have a fresh pair of 557 strokers @675hp with hydrolic roller cam setup with higher lift cam than stock .My oil temps run a little high at 230*with 3" coolers.I really would like some real experiences with roller/cam engines that have been dissambled that have been run with syn crankcase oil.HP500'S if possible.
Bottom line is:

Dennis
Check it out...Sterling and other builders send engines out with M-1 15W-50 in the pan. I heard Teague uses Amsoil. Volvo is 100% Synthetic now. Mercury has gone to a Semi-syn.

Sorry to hear you have a flat spot but that can happen with any oil.

If you decide to go with conventional oil I suggest you use Valvoline VR-1 maybe a 40 or 50 wt or 20W-50...lots of ZDDP an awesome conventional oil. I know a couple racing teams that use 60 wt and change after every race.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Check it out...Sterling and other builders send engines out with M-1 15W-50 in the pan. I heard Teague uses Amsoil. Volvo is 100% Synthetic now. Mercury has gone to a Semi-syn.

Sorry to hear you have a flat spot but that can happen with any oil.
True..
Old 07-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

We have run Non-Synthetic oil for over 50 years, I wouldn't run it in my lawn mower. Pennzoil racing grade . That's just our choice, it works.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
We have run Non-Synthetic oil for over 50 years, I wouldn't run it in my lawn mower. Pennzoil racing grade . That's just our choice, it works.
You are refering to a specific Brand and Type of conventional oil

There are a number of both conventional and non-conventional oils I do not care much for....it's all in the base stock and additive package.

I do however as an fyi have a Lawn Tractor with an 18 HP V-Twin that has near 500 hours of perfect service record and after the first 1/2 season switched to Mobil-1 15W-50. A 9HP snowblower as well with a Honda engine gets 5W-30 Amsoil....so it does work in small engines.

Penzoil Racing has a lot of ZDDP and it is a parafinic oil....some don't care for parafinic oil...as long as the parafin is stable you are good to go. If it becomes unstable (water/gasoline/alcohol/water etc) get into the oil then it simply forms a gel as it chemically tries to reform carbon/carbon bonds back to the parafin wax it used to be in "another life". I have personally witnessed this in the bottle and oil pan. It can really breed the perfect stage for lots of sludge. If you change the oil frequently your chances of this happening are lessened.

All my cars..boats...trucks always on Mobil-1/Amsoil or Redline with real good success.

I also used Castrol GTX 20W-50 for a while and it was a real good oil too.

I respect your position.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-13-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run syn. in everything, even the gen in mt gibson...that thing sometimes runs for 12-15 hrs strait, my feeling it adds lfe and H/P and moat race teams do as well..Rob
Old 07-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by StrikinLightnin
Bottom line is:

Dennis
To answer your question is it ok to run synthetic with a roller. YES you can. Almost all new over head valves engines are roller and synthetic is preferred from the factories.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used nothing but synthetic in everything I own for 30 years and wouldn't use anything else. That's everything from lawn equipment to a 15-vehicle commercial fleet. Plus quite a number of boats. I've never had an oil-related failure and I get rid of absolutely worn out vehicles with amazingly well-running engines- some of the medium-duty diesels in the 750k/mi+ range- long past expected lifespans.

On racing oils- they're made for racing, not pleasure boating. They provide amazing protection for operating the engine, but they're intended to be drained & replaced when you're done with the race. Boats can be stored for weeks on end and then there's the water-in-oil issue. Racing oils don't like that sort of stuff.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow

True...many Racing Oils do not have much of a dispercency or detergency package. They are made for that one time Race and Drain.

The whole 9 yds in Racing is flow...flow...flow....especially in tight turns.

As far as additives go ZDDP and Moly to reduce friction.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Motor Oil or NOT ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.