Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
questions for 500hp owners (dont hate me) >

questions for 500hp owners (dont hate me)

Notices

questions for 500hp owners (dont hate me)

Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions for 500hp owners (dont hate me)

I have a 500hp (blue motor) w a m1sc in a 67 prostreet camaro.

My question is the car guys all seem to think that this blower (very similar to a d1sc is too small for a 502. The kit I bought is specifically made for this engine and is suppose to produce 750 hp at 5 psi. I do not want to hurt this engine so I am def keeping it on pump gas friendly boost levels.

I just finished with the build and have yet to see what it will do.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd change to CMI's to eliminate reversion problems.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Registered

Well if your trying to make the utmost power from that engine, then YES it is too small. I too am a car guy and have had to change my way of thinking since getting into boating.

The idea of putting this blower on a 502 is low boost and realiablity, all while making more power. If you are happy with your combo, then who cares what the other guys say?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I bet your buddy drives FORD mustang too.....

So what if the boost is low. The engine should last awhile that way and still make decent power. Remember, the setup your running was intended to run at high RPM for extended periods of time, your drag racing it for 10-12 seconds at a time. The problem I see is that blower puts on the power at higher RPM and not making full power when you launch (or that could be a good thing depending on how you look at it)

750hp.....not really. That is what Procharger claims, but it's not making that. I had a pair of 500EFI's with 8 psi Prochargers and they were reported to be 830hp..actually dyno runs put them around 790hp....your probably in the high 6XX's IMO.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Registered

Not sure what CMI is. Lol this was on a Mustang forum too. THe car pulls low 1.5 60fts on motor soI wanted a blower that came in on the high side. Im assuming that I will have to go to a smaller pulley being I am running a rathere larger air to air intercooler instead of the small air to water int that came with the kit.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Great setup. I've seen another car w/ a blue merc motor in it and it ran great. Post some times once you get them.

Tom

PS CMI's are marine exhausts, he was just joking.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastlane40
I'd change to CMI's to eliminate reversion problems.
I thought the water reversion problem was with the HP500 Carb with the Gill exhuast.... That looks like an EFI I think he's ok..
Old 07-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I always though they would be great car motors.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I bet your buddy drives FORD mustang too.....

So what if the boost is low. The engine should last awhile that way and still make decent power. Remember, the setup your running was intended to run at high RPM for extended periods of time, your drag racing it for 10-12 seconds at a time. The problem I see is that blower puts on the power at higher RPM and not making full power when you launch (or that could be a good thing depending on how you look at it)

750hp.....not really. That is what Procharger claims, but it's not making that. I had a pair of 500EFI's with 8 psi Prochargers and they were reported to be 830hp..actually dyno runs put them around 790hp....your probably in the high 6XX's IMO.
aumming the lower crank pully is 7.5 in, what size did you go on the blower to get 8 psi? right now I am running a 4in on top and going to get a 3.2 in tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fotoboy
aumming the lower crank pully is 7.5 in, what size did you go on the blower to get 8 psi? right now I am running a 4in on top and going to get a 3.2 in tomorrow.

I have no idea.....I bought the boat set-up that way. Once winter came I pulled all the stuff off and sold it. Ended up stroking it to a 540, ported Iron Eagle heads, porting the intake, oval throttle body, big cam, and upped compression to 9.75. Made 630HP and 700TQ fully dressed (with MY headers) on a dyno. I do know the 8 psi system usually came with a bigger intercooler so I couldn't tell you what might be needed for your set-up.

The 500efi is a great motor but it just looks weird seeing it inside a car!!!! (wouldn't it have been cheaper to use an "automotive" based engine for your build?)

Quick Reply: questions for 500hp owners (dont hate me)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.