Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do I troubleshoot electrical? >

How do I troubleshoot electrical?

Notices

How do I troubleshoot electrical?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I troubleshoot electrical?

Just took the boat out this evening for a sunset cruise and found the nav lights didn't work..

With the switch on there is a red light by the switch but no green, red and white on the boat... But when I turn on the anchor light it illuminates... IE the same light that should be turning on with the nav switch...

I no little about electrics but would love to troubleshoot and solve this myself. How would any of you try to troubleshoot this problem...

Thanks,

Frank
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the cover off the bow light and wiggle the bulb. If it flickers you just have a loose connection or a little corrosion.

Get yourself a 12V test light. It's the best troubleshooting tool other than your own brain. Hook the alligator clip to ground and anything you touch that is hot will light the bulb. They are about $8.00 for a decent one.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Start with checking the light bulb, and also the socket for bad contact. (not quite following your description on the dash lights)

Then a simple test light, or DMV meter, starting at the switch checking for current and working towards the light.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

Is your switch one for both opperations? I.E. you flip the switch one way for NAV lights and flip it the other way for Anchor? Most switches are double pole double throw...from what you just said it sounds like the connection came off of one side of the switch or that one side (NAV) is defective i suspect. yank the switch out or pull the switch panel and take a look behind it...if allthe connections are good then hit it with a test light like Ed and US1 said and start working your way out to the lights....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!