496 changing sparkplugs ? >

496 changing sparkplugs ?

Notices

496 changing sparkplugs ?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
You know, I used to post on this forum a lot a few years back, mostly here in the tech section. Because of d!ck bags like you I stopped. I have helped out a lot of people on here over the years, there are a wide variety of boaters on this site and some do not understand the difference in those two measurements, believe me. You would never manage to get a plug gapped to .600 but some poor fellow may try and ruin a fairly expensive plug doing it. I do this for a living day in and day out and have seen a lot of silly sh!t over the years.

And by the way, I could give a sh!t less about my post count, I didn't even pay for a membership this year. I don't spend near as much tie hanging around this place as I used to and I realize why more and more every day.

That's a good thing I suppose. If you spend more time banging on someone for typo's rather than using the info that they try and help provide it could prove to be frustrating. But you're still here. Bottom line is it doesn't take much to figure out that dot since it's not possible to do what you're suggesting and only the best intention was there to help the guy. I meant nothing else by it and did not intend on damaging a $9 spark plug. Heck, I'll send him a set if you want me to. I really do like to help people on here as they've help me.

You have a couple of run-on sentences above separated by commas instead of periods (.). Those are dots too...

Take care hillbilly,
Your new favorite d!ck bag
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Round of hugs for everybody!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by verbi69
Round of hugs for everybody!!!!

No kidding huh?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
That's a good thing I suppose. If you spend more time banging on someone for typo's rather than using the info that they try and help provide it could prove to be frustrating. But you're still here. Bottom line is it doesn't take much to figure out that dot since it's not possible to do what you're suggesting and only the best intention was there to help the guy. I meant nothing else by it and did not intend on damaging a $9 spark plug. Heck, I'll send him a set if you want me to. I really do like to help people on here as they've help me.

You have a couple of run-on sentences above separated by commas instead of periods (.). Those are dots too...

Take care hillbilly,
Your new favorite d!ck bag
You seem to think my post was some kind of personal insult to you, it was not nor was it intended to be. It was a clarification. I spoke nothing of your intentions and certainly did not think you were trying to get a guy to screw something up. The last thing I expected was to be basically called out as a pretentious a$$ hole for correcting a typo and yes, I know that's all it was, a typo.

I have had problems with run on sentences since third grade, I guess I will never grow out of that one.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biligemouth
I was able to find the ac delco 41-983 plug at Oreilys - $5.88, GM dealership was $12.15. Scared to check with Mercruiser.

THe ones I pulled out were gapped at 1/16", seemed to be a huge gap. So wide I could check it with a caliper!

What is the correct plug gap for these in a 496??
If you happen not to get anywhere on your own, you could try Paulie Brown's Marine on Hwy 79 if he's still open. He was a good Merc guy when I was growing up there. It's a bit of a drive from Owensboro but I know he's an ethical person to deal with. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
You seem to think my post was some kind of personal insult to you, it was not nor was it intended to be. It was a clarification. I spoke nothing of your intentions and certainly did not think you were trying to get a guy to screw something up. The last thing I expected was to be basically called out as a pretentious a$$ hole for correcting a typo and yes, I know that's all it was, a typo.

I have had problems with run on sentences since third grade, I guess I will never grow out of that one.
I guess from my point of view it seemed unnecessary to pick it apart but I'd also have to agree that it would be ugly if someone actually took it literally. This mistake was on me.

Then the "d!ck bag" part came in and took a tooth off of my gear.

Either way, no hard feelings. This should be a place where guys work together; not against one another.

Cheers!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
I guess from my point of view it seemed unnecessary to pick it apart but I'd also have to agree that it would be ugly if someone actually took it literally. This mistake was on me.

Then the "d!ck bag" part came in and took a tooth off of my gear.

Either way, no hard feelings. This should be a place where guys work together; not against one another.

Cheers!
I am a little quick with the insults a lot of times, sorry to be such a douche bag myself. I know you are not part of the issue but there has been some just plain bad tech advice around here lately and people who don't know a thing about what they are talking about seem to feel the need more then ever to jump in and give what they consider definitive answers. I am not a master of everything either but I just keep my mouth shut when I don't know the answer. Again I am not insinuating in any way that you are part of this issue, it just has me pissed off with this place lately.