Motor flush and strainers. >

Motor flush and strainers.

Notices

Motor flush and strainers.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Motor flush and strainers.

Installing a motor flush system and sea strainers.
The "flush" hose/split will go before the sea pump. OK.. What about the sea strainers? Before the sea pump or after?

Thx
P
Old 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Order-

Pickups, ball valves, strainers, pump, coolers, motor.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Installing a motor flush system and sea strainers.
The "flush" hose/split will go before the sea pump. OK.. What about the sea strainers? Before the sea pump or after?

Thx
P
Like Chris said. My pickups right to the strainers and at the top of the strainer is my flush port. I have the Perko strainer with the 5 inch glass housing. then to the pump.......out the pump..........thru trans cooler...........thru oil cooler........into crossover.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Don't forget ball valves- as close to your pickups as possible. Preferrably screwed together with pipe fittings. You don't want to take any chances here. Boats sink because of problems in this area.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris..
I'm not clear on the ball valve thing. I have to install a valve between the pick up line from the transom and the pump/flush line?
I was planning to install a "T" right before the sea water pump and run a flush hose from the top of the "T" to hook up to fresh water supply. I was planing to put a valve at the "top"of the flush hose, so I can turn it open when flushing closed during normal running. The stainer was going to go after the "T" before the sea water pump.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:16 PM

The thru-hull portion of the pickup should be threaded- it needs a ball valver on there, then a short nipple or barb fitting for your water intake hose to attach to.

Without the ball valve, the flush water will just run out the transom. More importantly, when you open the strainers if the clog, your boat will start to fill with water. It's tough to clean them out with water gushing in- even harder to get those wing nuts on the cover plate and keep the gasket in there. Plus, the ball valve will give you peace-of-mind if you dock overnight or unattended.

You can replace the inlet elbow on the strainer with a Tee fitting and stick a hose adapter in there. Eickert makes a really neat dry-break style fitting and kit- mounts on the transom. Plug the hose in and flush.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Don't forget ball valves- as close to your pickups as possible. Preferrably screwed together with pipe fittings. You don't want to take any chances here. Boats sink because of problems in this area.

Yup mine are right after the pickups. I have a long handle on each one that i pull up for flushing. Just don't forget to push them back down when done!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 PM

Yes, that can be hard on impellers when you forget.