Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Upgrading Engine Ideas >

Upgrading Engine Ideas

Notices

Upgrading Engine Ideas

Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

AFR 315 CNC ported heads and "RMBuilder"/Bob Madara (Marine Kinetics) cam profiles will give you an excellent combination.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. A conversation with Bob is very detailed. He wants to know everything about the boat, the driveline, the engines and exactly what you want to do with it. And he charges the same as what you'd pay for an out-of-the-box Crane from Summit Racing.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had lunch at the Red Snapper today in Destin, FL. The Emerald Coast Poker Run was on despite some less than ideal weather. I am not sure if this post is related to the thread but boy did some of these boats sound good idling through. Put a smile on my face that our current motor broke so we can add more power.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading Engine Ideas-emerald-coast-1.jpg   Upgrading Engine Ideas-emerald-coast-2.jpg   Upgrading Engine Ideas-emerald-coast-3.jpg  

Old 08-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Hey Bert, might want to buy a poncho. Looks like a storm is coming your way!

You're not the only one on D3 on the sidelines now. Friday afternoon, Boody and I did a hot lap (well, Boody did a hot lap, I did a lukewarm lap!) from the marina to the first bridge and back. We waited outside the marina for Pratt to hook up with us. When we all took off, Boody's port motor revved up but went nowhere. He shut it down and then it wouldn't restart. Starter wouldn't engage the flywheel. Nick came down with a breaker bar to turn the motor by hand thinking it might have a broken tooth on the flywheel but the starter still wouldn't catch. Further investigation revealed the flywheel is bent/cocked out of position so the starter gear can't get to the ring gear! Explains why it revved up too like it spun the coupler. Motor is coming out today. Hopefully it is just a busted flywheel and not a broken crank!!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Hey Bert, might want to buy a poncho. Looks like a storm is coming your way!

You're not the only one on D3 on the sidelines now. Friday afternoon, Boody and I did a hot lap (well, Boody did a hot lap, I did a lukewarm lap!) from the marina to the first bridge and back. We waited outside the marina for Pratt to hook up with us. When we all took off, Boody's port motor revved up but went nowhere. He shut it down and then it wouldn't restart. Starter wouldn't engage the flywheel. Nick came down with a breaker bar to turn the motor by hand thinking it might have a broken tooth on the flywheel but the starter still wouldn't catch. Further investigation revealed the flywheel is bent/cocked out of position so the starter gear can't get to the ring gear! Explains why it revved up too like it spun the coupler. Motor is coming out today. Hopefully it is just a busted flywheel and not a broken crank!!
Gotta love boating! Maybe we can convince Mike to warm up the HP 500s a little to keep up with Pratt.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by RJBBC
I had lunch at the Red Snapper today in Destin, FL. The Emerald Coast Poker Run was on despite some less than ideal weather. I am not sure if this post is related to the thread but boy did some of these boats sound good idling through. Put a smile on my face that our current motor broke so we can add more power.
The name of the restaurant is the Lucky Snapper, went back there last night. Sail boats and center consoles were a plenty. Where is the HP?

Last edited by RJBBC; 08-19-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by RJBBC
We currently have a 2000 Checkmate 259 Convincor. We purchased the boat new in 2002. The engine (454MAG MPI) and drive (B1) have 275 hours. The boat had an engine upgrade kit installed at about 215 hours.(cam, exhaust, valvetrain upgrade). The engine was dynoed after upgrade at 461HP (5100RPM) and 514lbs/tq (3800RPM). Recently the engine lost power and a compression test was performed. Here are the numbers by cylinder: 1-150,2-150, 3-130, 4-100, 5-110, 6-85, 7-170, 8-85. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Anyway I am using this problem as an opportunity to upgrade our power. I would like to stay NA and go to a carb motor. Should we try and salvage the motor we have or go to a larger displacment motor? 600HP is the goal number. The boat has full hydraulic steering and HP tabs. The engine must be user friendly as this is a family boat. Wife needs to be able to drive it. The boat will be used for cruising, some water sports and an occasional WOT run. The project budget is 15K.
Thanks in advance,
Rob
The motor is out of the boat and partially disassembled. Cylinders and heads look good. The low compression in some cylinders is from valves failing to fully seat, but why? Included here are pictures of the shortblock, heads and the intake valve from cylinder 8. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading Engine Ideas-08-24-08-short-block.jpg   Upgrading Engine Ideas-08-24-08-heads.jpg   Upgrading Engine Ideas-08-24-08-intake-valve.jpg  

Old 08-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be too tight of stem clearance. have you changed anything on your cooling system? Lost an impeller or had a cooling issue? Heat makes exhaust valve stems expand. More heat- more expansion. Too much and they can gall and sometimes stick. Also, bad fuel or a lean condition in the fuel system can cause excess heat- leading to seat erosion and valve tulip-ing. Check to see if they're all the same length.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:46 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Hey Rob,

When the engine was upgraded, were the heads pulled and angles cut on valves and seats? If not, how many hours are on the heads? It is difficult to see from the pictures. Do the seats look good? Can you take a close up of the leaking valve seats? Was the plug in that cylinder showing a lean condition?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Vinny P
Hey Rob,

When the engine was upgraded, were the heads pulled and angles cut on valves and seats? If not, how many hours are on the heads? It is difficult to see from the pictures. Do the seats look good? Can you take a close up of the leaking valve seats? Was the plug in that cylinder showing a lean condition?
No lean condition in the 8 plug or any plugs for that matter. The heads were pulled with the upgrade. I believe the angles were cut. There are 275 total hours on the heads. 60 hours on the valvetrain that is currently having problems. The heads are off to the machine shop today, so we will see what they have to say.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Engine Ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.