external steering, pros and cons >

external steering, pros and cons

Notices

external steering, pros and cons

Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThruHull
I have a brand new Zeiger Full to the helm, twin ram for single bravo I will let go cheap if anyone is interested, pm me
ThruHull, can you email me a price at [email protected]?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
Mayfair byHardin Marines latest new Modular Wing plate Add-on steering system.This wing plate steering mount design incorporates dual side links and a single rear load cap that bolt together forming a strong bridge like cradle. The rear load cap bolts to and captures the outdrives rear end cap while the side links attach to the outdrives four mounting points at the Gimbal housing. This system eliminates the need to drill and tap your existing out drive for additional fastners like the current end cap systems sold today (Voiding Factory warranties). Best of all there is no disassembly of your outdrives rear end cap (again voids factory warranties) and these new systems fit all generations of Bravo outdrives including the new "Slope Back" style as well as come in different widths for multiple different transom applications. Buy the whole kit and you'll receive the one piece SS thru-hulls, polished SS rams, pre-made SS braided lines and SS fittings and more.

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=9124

I need a few better pics of this system.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you run a full hydraulic, it'll be the only thing you ever want. Call some of the mentioned brands and choose which ever you think will do it best for you. Hardin (Mayfair), IMCO, Latham, Zeiger ect. you won't go wrong with either.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Registered

i am green with hydraulic systems....what's the diff. between add-on and full hydro?
ill probly need one soon....
thanks
Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pqjack
i am green with hydraulic systems....what's the diff. between add-on and full hydro?
ill probly need one soon....
thanks
Add on uses the existing cable system, full has a hydrolic helm
Old 03-24-2012, 01:02 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Phucking boat sat all winter and now your gonna decide to do this? Talking about it for 2 years now! Sorry had to break your stones. Do the full hydraulic thing, you won't be sorry. Changes the whole feel of the ride. Besides if I had your money I'd burn mine. PS, change your name to moneymonkey too, LOL!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Not trying to hijack this.... I have the IMCO add-on kit on mine (single ram). Can I convert that to a full hydrolic helm with just the addition of the helm pump and hoses, then bypass the engine mounted pump??
Old 03-25-2012, 09:43 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Helm is not a pump but a directional valve controlled with the wheel. You can use the stock pump but will need a larger reservoir to compensate for the long hoses. A cooler might be a good idea as well.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhook98
Not trying to hijack this.... I have the IMCO add-on kit on mine (single ram). Can I convert that to a full hydrolic helm with just the addition of the helm pump and hoses, then bypass the engine mounted pump??
Yes, if you buy the right helm. The general helms that people are talking here are the Eaton/Charlynn style helms that use the power steering pump for pressure and volume. They are orbitrol steering valves. But if you buy a Capilano style helm that is a positive displacement pump you can use that without the power steering pump. I also know a couple people that use the Teleflex displacement helm, but they are a lot of turns lock to lock.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

IF you are willing to go to a juice helm I think the ITS systems from Merc is the cleanest way to go.

Some boats with molded in steps require you to cut them to gain clearance. - The ITS solves this problem by integrating the components into an extension box.

The downside is $$$$$$

Ive got one on each of my boats.

I think this is a much cleaner setup that all the external deals Ive seen.

The guys talking about drive life are correct the steering stabilizes the gimbal and prevents wear dramatically.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails external steering, pros and cons-2750-trailer.jpg   external steering, pros and cons-dsc06300.jpg  

Quick Reply: external steering, pros and cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.