MSD are they improving them yet????? >

MSD are they improving them yet?????

Notices

MSD are they improving them yet?????

Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some 6m-2 problems, but after talking to one of their tech guys I installed an MSD-8830 noise filter in the + line to the box.

I have had no further problems, he thought that big spikes caused by the starter could eventually damage the box.

I see that it is now recommended for 7 & 8 series boxes and in my experience should be used with the six boxes also.

http://www.msdignition.com/product.a...659&terms=8830
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SB
Oh, if anyone has MSD issues or would like to upgrade yo u may want to check out this place.
http://www.techwestracing.com/

I have not used them but would atleast call to scoop them out if I was having MSD issues.

Hows business SB?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I had some 6m-2 problems, but after talking to one of their tech guys I installed an MSD-8830 noise filter in the + line to the box.

I have had no further problems, he thought that big spikes caused by the starter could eventually damage the box.

I see that it is now recommended for 7 & 8 series boxes and in my experience should be used with the six boxes also.

http://www.msdignition.com/product.a...659&terms=8830
You would think if they feel it is needed they would include them or build them into the boxes
Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

6AL in the boat since 1992. Going strong no reason to change now. I've heard nothing but problems from the MSD 6M marine blue boxes.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Registered

Ran various versions of the MSD boxes (cars, bikes, etc.) and ALWAYS had issues. Old analog technology. Never again. Love my Crane on the boat. Not a single issue, and it's seen some abuse.

PS. Yes, you see two of them on various Nascar cars, because they are sponsors, and they are unreliable. At least that's what the teams all said years ago.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 AM
Registered

msd stands for " must self destruct ". i ran their crap when i raced jet skis for years. very unreliable....
Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
Hows business SB?
Last year when gas prices jumped up I slowed down by a good amt.

This year, when gas prices jumped further I've been extremely busy. You figure ? LOL.

Main point though is I take all the responsibility if things are good or not, I do not blame the economy or other things I can not control.

======================================

Main issue I have mostly with MSD stuff is that a huge % of people that buy it, don't need it. So why take a risk with reliability if you are one of those ?

Other one is I don't believe in weights and such in a marine environment. So, talking about distributors here.

Get a good magnetic pick-up distributor with no weights, then get yourself a Crane HI-6M box. It has a bunch of advance curves built in that you can pick with the turn of a screw, plus a rev limiter that adjusts the same way.

Why buy a big $$$ dist, a big $$ semi-unreliable box, and be forced to buy seperate rev limiter modules and or chips.

Way to many things to go wrong and way to many things to have to buy.

KISS !

I have found the GM External Coil HEI (ie: the computer controlled one - Merc uses it on EFI engines) with module bypassed and thus mag pick-up connected to Crane Box (HI-6M) is very reliable and ultra simple. Just use Accell or MSD cap/rotor available at your local corner auto parts store.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had issues with them over the years, but in testing, found that the stuff never made you ANY faster !!! may clean idle up a bit but that was it, running a mallory unilite w/no box and like it so far...Rob
Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered

I've never had ANY issues with and of my MSD stuff in cars over the years. Hopefully I will be lucky enough not to have any issues with the marine stuff I just bought.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Oh, if anyone has MSD issues or would like to upgrade yo u may want to check out this place.
http://www.techwestracing.com/

I have not used them but would atleast call to scoop them out if I was having MSD issues.
I have a 6AL new in the box laying around if anyone is interested. Bought 5/01/2003, never used, will ship to any reasonable offer.

I know there's a classified section, just didn't want to bother for such a small item Part # 6420.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: MSD are they improving them yet?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.