Bravo 1 HP limit >

Bravo 1 HP limit

Notices

Bravo 1 HP limit

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The top cap is a weak area. It's where the bevel gears from the input shaft and the downshaft meet. The harder you push bevel gears, the harder they try to push away from each other. A heavier top cap minimuzes that deflection.

On oils, look up posts by "hydrocruiser" or PM him. he's our official oil guy. I was talking to the guys at Konrad and they swear by the Royal Purple. It's what ships inside their drives. They do primarily commercial and military applications and have a great warranty. I doubt they'd be skimping on oil.

Well, if you get time, check out the oil thread, it has a review about the drive lubs. The RP didn't do so hot..... I'll check out the top cap for sure. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run only Quicksilver Premium for twenty years on the drive I described above. I wouldn't change for anything....
Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ghittner
My bravo is the original drive off 1989 24' Arriva. I have changed the gear oil yearly, lubed the u joints as well and replaced the input shaft once due to getting in some sand and twisting it a little @ w.o.t. on my 650 HP motor five years ago. Same drive since 1989 on four motors. stock 330 HP for six years. 500 HP for another two years. 700 HP for three more and now 900++ HP blown 500CI. for two years with absolutely NO PROBLEMS! If you don't treat the boat like a dragster and are somewhat kind to the drive it will last! Going on 20 years now, same drive no major repairs and I've run it above 6200 RPM for somewhat extended periods with no failures. I goose it out of the hole once in a while, ski with it a whole lot, run it hard a whole lot as well. Yes, your Bravo will hold up! Be nice to it!!!!
24' Arriva...what a great boat! Used to service one years ago for a customer. Great looking, decent price, fast hull.

Post a picture.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
Well, if you get time, check out the oil thread, it has a review about the drive lubs. The RP didn't do so hot..... I'll check out the top cap for sure. Thanks.
Surveys and different sorts of lab analysis are all well and good, but never a replacement for actual, statistically-valid data. No one of us individually could ever amass enough experience to have any true statistical validity. But manufacturers do. Whether it's Merc, Konrad or whoever, they not only know what works, they're compelled to live with the results. If one of their drive fails under warranty, it's money out of their pocket for the repair and in some cases, it's a damaged reputation with an entity or community that is a multiple-unit purchaser of your product.

Konrad, for example, sells the majority of their equipment to government agencies and the comercial market. Problems with these customers become very expensive- especially if your product garners a history of failures.

In the example of Konrad, they feel confident enough with the RP to put their $$ on the line. And it's not to save a couple bucks on oil. Same with Mercruiser.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 09-08-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone run the Amsoil severe geal oil?