496 HO eeprom calibration

Notices

496 HO eeprom calibration

Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO eeprom calibration

I'm thinking of having my ecm's recalibrated for more hp. It would also be nice to have less transom soot. Has anybody had it done? Any effect on driveability or docking manners? I don't want to burn a piston. Reliability is more important than hp to me. I've heard up to 40hp increase. How many rpm's did you pick up? Worth the $$? How big a deal to go back to stock?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Registered

I think you're talking about these:

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1190

Unfortunately, 40hp ain't gonna happen with a PCM cal alone. However, I'm sure Dustin has a fix if you let him.

Some stock PCM's do have sooting issues (mine did as well). I've learned that some of the sooting issues could be from poor fuel quality. In fact, if I don't run Sunoco through mine, I still have some. With my upgrades and Sunoco gas, I get very little (if any).
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

All I run is Sunoco. They say 7-10% increase which is 29.75 to 42.5hp. I have no idea if that is realistic. It would need to be to be worth moving from 87 to 91 octane.
How do you like the Raylar package?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Registered

I can't tell you a thing about ecms, eproms or pcms go4broke, but I can tell you the blowers you sold me kick azz! I picked up 8 mph! So far so good. I thought you might like to know that. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...........

BT
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
All I run is Sunoco. They say 7-10% increase which is 29.75 to 42.5hp. I have no idea if that is realistic. It would need to be to be worth moving from 87 to 91 octane.
How do you like the Raylar package?
Nice work. You must be talking about the stage 2 with stock goodies. I've yet to be ill-informed by either Ray or Dustin, so I guess it's possible. That being said, I personally wouldn't like stock internals running on 91 with aggressive mapping.

I've got +30 Mahle pistons along with the Raylar package, a custom tune from Dustin and really like it. I picked up a solid 8 mph in my floating brick which is pretty good. It hasn't been dynoed, but all my numbers tell me I'm running 525-550 hp.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I can't tell you a thing about ecms, eproms or pcms go4broke, but I can tell you the blowers you sold me kick azz! I picked up 8 mph! So far so good. I thought you might like to know that. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...........

BT
I've been wondering about you! Good to hear, 8mph is great!
Now if I can just find a deal on blowers for my 496's......
Of course they would probably come with a divorce, that would be expensive hp!
I better stick with calibrations and lab props.

Last edited by GO4BROKE; 09-02-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Anyone else tried different calibrations for the 496's?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered

One thing I did G4B with the blower installs is buy .02 sensors. I bought the innovate LM2 meter which gives data logging of a/f relative to rpm. That would be a good tool for you to determine if there is any room to lean down. The black transom could be a rich spot somewhere other than WOT.

I was very concerned with my hyper pistons (same as 496) and starting with 9.5:1 compression and blowing a piston, but the results have been very good. And I know my af ratio is right where it needs to be to keep the pistons cool. These engines have been run harder than ever too and I am feeling pretty good on the tune.

BT
Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks BT. You are right that O2S are the only way to find the line and not cross it.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

The people I know G4B that have great success maximizing FI applications are doing thier own mapping. I believe the software and cabling can be had for pretty cheap these days. You then just need a lap top and some patience. Sending ecms out for recal and hoping for an improvement is like pissing in the wind.... feels good at the time, but you end up smelling bad.

Quick Reply: 496 HO eeprom calibration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.