Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Driveshaft bellows question >

Driveshaft bellows question

Notices

Driveshaft bellows question

Old 03-05-2002, 11:06 PM
imq707s

Question Driveshaft bellows question

I just finished replacing the gimbal bearing on my 1985 Alpha I drive and noticed that there is some sort of snap ring that looks like it has come loose. It looks like it's supposed to press the bellows to the housing. What is this ring and where does it go? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2002, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean there are people on this board running Alphas? Hmmm....
Old 03-06-2002, 07:53 AM
imq707s

I've got one more question that kind of goes along with my original post. I need to replace the wires that go through the transom that hook to the trim limit switch and trim sender. Can I just pull the gimbal pins to gain access to the spot were the wires go through right above the driveshaft bellows? Do I have to remove the bellows, or can I just push a pull the gimbal ring housing around enough to gain access to the wires? Also, if I have to remove the bellows, can I reuse them if they are in good shape. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-06-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the wire issue, but if you have the thing apart you might as well replace the bellows if they are more than say 5 or 6 years old. It will save you the time from pulling it all apart again and the bellows aren't that expensive.

Just my .02

Ted
Old 03-06-2002, 10:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual says you should pull the gimbal ring to gain access to the trim sensor wires. I'd replace the bellows while I had it apart too.
Don't forget to check the alignment, grease the coupler and universal joints while your at it.

BajaBoss252,
There are some of us still running Alpha's. We all can't be lucky/rich/smart enough to have Bravo's.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:45 AM
jr

BajaBoss,

2 alpha SS's right here. Running 4 and a quarter through them.

Old 03-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alpha ss drives are awsome! It would be sweet to see Merc bring them back to run behind the 377 Scorpion on some of the smaller hot rods. I'll bet they are 2-3 MPH faster than the less sleek Bravo and can hold the power of a small block with no prob.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

The alpha SS drive would probably be 5 to 7 mph faster than the bravo drive due to the prop being 2 1/2 " higher and the alpha has a smaller bullit. The ALPHA SS won't hold any more torque than the regular alpha. I had one on a GLASTRON CARLSON with over 500 hp in front of it. (((SNAP)))
Old 03-07-2002, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My father has alpha's on his Searay. I believe it is a 1988. We have replaced all the bellows and trim wires a number of times. I also had an 86 hydrostream with an alpha and replaced the belows and trim wires. I never had to pull the gimbal ring to get access to the trim and sender wires. Just used a 1/4 inch universal socket and extension. I do not know of any snap ring used to hold on the bellows. I have always used hose clamps on all the bellows, including the boot for the shift cable. Maybe the snap ring was used on the cable end of the shift cable boot?