Exhaust silencers >

Exhaust silencers

Notices

Exhaust silencers

Old 03-06-2002, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust silencers

I have a 2000 Stingray 230SX with a 454 Mag EFI, with exhaust silencers (the tips have baffles that swirl the water and exhaust for muffling. Not sure of the specific name of this silencer.) Anyway, I was told that removing these tips in favor for an open exhaust would net a 2-3 MPH increase of my 71MPH top end. I personally don't think the tips are that restrictive, but I want to ask first. Will it be worth the trouble and cost to change to open tips?
Old 03-06-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ghia,

I have the same question about my Baja. It has the Corsa Quick and Quiet II system. I wanted to just pull the internals out rather than switching tips entirely. I asked this question on another board also and one guy there said not to pull out the baffles as this might allow water to enter the engine. I have external rubber flappers on my tips but I'm not sure if that is enough to keep water out when coming off of plane. I guess my question, along the same lines as yours would be, do the baffles really do all that much in keeping the water out or can I just yank them out...

Ted
Old 03-06-2002, 09:41 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 908 Likes on 456 Posts

2-3MPH???? from removing the exhaust tips?? No way! Its gonna sound alot better (to me anyway! ) but you wont see anything out of doing that mod. you may get a few x-tra Hp from the less restriction but not enough to make a change in speed. Especially if you are allready in the 70's. It takes more hp to go faster the higher the speed gets.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:38 AM
Intolerant1

If you are talking about baffles that look like big cork screws welded inside the tips then you might be in luck. I had these in my Liberator and removed them using a sawzall with a long carbide blade to reach in and cut the welds. I picked up about 5 mph and after changing the intake ,rejetting and going up a prop size gained eight mph. If they are the corkscrew type, they are very resritictive.

This was on my boat and I agree that you might not see much on a faster boat such as yours. What to you have to lose though?