575 sci HELP >

575 sci HELP

Notices

575 sci HELP

Old 09-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 575 sci HELP

Had a screw come out of the front throttle body.went through the blower and messed the blower up pretty good.Iam running a superchiller intercooler.I can not find the screw.I took the core out of the chiller and no screw.There is no damage to the chiller.I cant see how it got pass the cooler.What should i do next?Pull the heads?Is there any way i can drop a magnet down a spark plug hole to see if its made its way down?(i know that sounds dumb).Any help would be great.Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I am a bit familiar with 575's, that must have made a mess of the supercharger. I am not familiar with how small the the openings on the chiller is. Is it possible the screw got munched up into small enough pieces to pass the chiller? I doubt it is in a cylinder, there would be some real bad noises coming from the engine if the screw lodged itself into a piston. The only other thing I can recommend is probing around with a bore scope. Maybe you would get lucky and spot it. First place I would look is down the intake runners of the heads.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My guess is its jammed into the blower somewhere.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The magnet trick does not sound dumb. How bad are the rotors? Can you turn the rotors? Could it fit throught the cooler? If you cant turn the rotors Griff may be right...how big was the screw?? Did the belt squeel?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be lodged into a rotor for sure or it could be in the engine and out. Depending on how small it is or got smashed too, the early superchillers had gaps on each side of the core, between the housing and core, not sure if the later ones do to, but certainly possible.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered

The screw is a 8/32 x 1".The gap in the superchiller is about 1/8" at most.the top of the core is angled up.I have looked all i can in the blower and the rotors and can not see anything.When the screw went in i was running about 3500rpm.I heard bam bam bam bam and turned the motor off.I re started the motor and there was a little knocking coming from thr blower.When you turn the rotors they hit.The rotors are in simi bsd shape and i think a bearing is gone to.I am going to drop it off at superchargers usa today.Maybe its in the blower somewhere.I still cant see how it got through the chiller.The rotors are alum.and the screw is much stronger.You would think the rotors got the bad end of the deal.Do you think the blower could break a screw up easy?Thanks for the imput.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have no idea how bad that can get beat up in there. Usually the head snaps from the threads, therefore, if it's a 8/32", its very possible that it went all the way through. Otherwise, the screw is still in the SC, stuck in the vains or housing, not usre if you have the sc on the bench, if you do, flip it over and rotate it and then stand it up so the drive is down. If it's in there, that will usually help it come loose.

You cannot believe what I've found in the blowers. In one of our race superchargers, 9.8 liter, the racer said it wouldn't turn over more, of course he used a few very choice words at the same time. When we got the blower, we found a flat head screw driver, standard size bit, but the stubby handle. Removed it and SC was fixed
Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there done that. Same thing happened to me. I was idleing and the motor just started knocking?? The screw had fallen into the blower, got cut in 2, 1/2 went into #5, and 1/2 into #8. What a mess. You would think our "friends" @ Mercury would have foresight to locktite the FI fasteners or use a screen gasket. They use neither. I now have, and recommend both.
My blower was fixable, but yours sounds worse. Good luck with the repairs.
Regards,
Steve