Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
The highest ZDDP Synthetic I can find >

The highest ZDDP Synthetic I can find

Notices

The highest ZDDP Synthetic I can find

Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ZDDP is a chemical compound- zinc dialkyl dithiosphosphate. it's not just a dash of zinc and a dash of phosphate in the oil, it's a synthesized molecule.

Any oil can have high levels of ZDDP by simply adding it- it's commercially available. Raise your levels to 50K/ppm with a couple ounces.

It's being removed from many automotive oils because it damages catalytic converters, thus raising pollution levels.

On substitute oils, diesel oil is not good to use in a marine engine- it needs to be brought to operating temperature- unlikely unless the engine has a thermostatically-controlled oiling system. It's also very full of detergents which reduce film strength. It's also designed for very large-journaled bearing surfaces in low-rpm engines. Racing oils lack detergents that keep contaminates in solution and they also have other chemical compromises made in the effort to maximize shear and film strength. Most notable is the lack of acid neutralizers. Racing oil is made for short term use. It's not made to be left inside an engine and it's not made to last long- like a sprinter running a marathon.

In the end, unless you have a flat-tappet cam or a roller cam with incredibly high spring pressures and insane ramp profiles, your levels of ZDDP probably don't matter that much. Everything else in the engine runs in pressure-oiled bearings.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, does this mean that the Valvoline VR-1 Racing should not be used? Currently, I am using the 40w oil.

Seriously considering Mobil silver cap or Mobil 1 V-Twin if I can see enough advantages.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks - makes sense.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
So, does this mean that the Valvoline VR-1 Racing should not be used? Currently, I am using the 40w oil.

Seriously considering Mobil silver cap or Mobil 1 V-Twin if I can see enough advantages.
I have been using vtwin for the last 2 years. It kept oil temps down on my Spectre and is great in my Skater also.

I think you will be impressed.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
M-1 20W-50 V-twin

ZN 1450

Phos 1600
Just because an oil has high levels of zinc and phosphorus, doesn't make it a good oil. There are plenty of other other additives that need to be in there also. I think we should make that clear to everyone on here.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Teague's recommending Kendal 50wt in his motors under warranty. I was under the impression that the Amsoil and the Mobil 1 were better oils. What can you tell me about the Kendal?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin

On substitute oils, diesel oil is not good to use in a marine engine- it needs to be brought to operating temperature- unlikely unless the engine has a thermostatically-controlled oiling system.
All oils have to be brought to operating temps for maxium performance and protection. If you do not bring the oil up to operating temp you cannot flash off any condensate or fuel dilution.

As long as the diesel oil meets an API SL, SG,SH,"S whatever," it meets a gasoline engine specification and will work.

Ken
Old 09-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Teague's recommending Kendal 50wt in his motors under warranty. I was under the impression that the Amsoil and the Mobil 1 were better oils. What can you tell me about the Kendal?
I'm sure ALL Teague's motors are roller cammed. The ZDDP concern is mainly for us Dinosaurs that still run flat tappet cams. I have been running M-1 V Twin for 3 seasons so far and haven't had any oil related issues.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
Thats news to me. I know someone that just talked to him personally, and said he would only run the AMSOIL Dominator 15w-50, which is what he has been personally using for the last year or so.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
Thats news to me. I know someone that just talked to him personally, and said he would only run the AMSOIL Dominator 15w-50, which is what he has been personally using for the last year or so.
It says it right in my warranty paperwork. No multivisc. oil and only Kendal 50wt is approved, along with oil changes every 25 hours in a Teague 900. I thought he was an Amsoil guy too.

Quick Reply: The highest ZDDP Synthetic I can find

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.