540 engine builder >

540 engine builder

Notices

540 engine builder

Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 540 engine builder

I am going to be upgrading the power in my 28' cat over the winter and am looking to go to a 540. I am looking for feedback on builders who offer a 540 short block blower engine. I have researched a few companies (ateco, CNC-motorsports, dynoflo). If you have any experience with these or other builders please post up. I have the option of going to a local builder with a disassembled short block but I am looking at $800 to $1000 for assembly and a three month wait time. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a big project if you want it done right. This is list of things that need to be completed: prep and clean, brush, boil, etc the block, hone the lifters bores and prep the lifters, align hone the block for the crank, polish the crank, fit and install new cam and main bearings, prep the pistons/pins, hone the cylinders bores for the pistons, cut and fit the rings, deck the block, balance the rotating assembly, hang and align hone the rods, assemble the short block including degreeing the cam, etc. You a should figure a min of 50 hrs. Even at $50 you are looking at a min of $2500 ($3500-4000 is not unreasonable). This likely does not include paint, or installation of the oil pan or fitting the oil p/u.
Consider increasing your budget and finding another engine builder if you want the job done right. $800-1000 to build a quality marine short block is not possible unless your engine builder is working for $10-20 hr.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Registered

You need to call Brad at Bob's Pit Stop/Brad Smith Racing Engines in Joplin. Close to being local. he can do your build from running to running including the dyno runs and you will be more than pleased with his quality, customer service, and prices. It's no secret that a large percentage of the way fast boats at Grand Lake are running his power. PM me for his number if you're interested (which you should be!)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered

Hey BenPerfected. I know 800 to 1000 bones is very reasonable but the fact of the mater is that the builders I listed advertise 540 short blocks in the neighborhood of $4600 and it will cost me nearly that much for the block and rotating assembly alone. I would rather spend the money to upgrade what they offer. I am concerned about the build quality of there engines and if anyone has used them before.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
This is a big project if you want it done right. This is list of things that need to be completed: prep and clean, brush, boil, etc the block, hone the lifters bores and prep the lifters, align hone the block for the crank, polish the crank, fit and install new cam and main bearings, prep the pistons/pins, hone the cylinders bores for the pistons, cut and fit the rings, deck the block, balance the rotating assembly, hang and align hone the rods, assemble the short block including degreeing the cam, etc. You a should figure a min of 50 hrs. Even at $50 you are looking at a min of $2500 ($3500-4000 is not unreasonable). This likely does not include paint, or installation of the oil pan or fitting the oil p/u.
Consider increasing your budget and finding another engine builder if you want the job done right. $800-1000 to build a quality marine short block is not possible unless your engine builder is working for $10-20 hr.

I see your in dallas, were do you have your engine work done?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MRE Power Products - Florida
Old 09-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I see your in dallas, were do you have your engine work done?
Did you ever get yours put back together?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a couple short blocks from Dyno - Flo once. They wre OK. Scott was great to deal with. I have noticed though that they have gotten a little to busy for their own good, so he has a hard time overseeing evrything like he used to. I also noticed that my piston to wall gap was a little to loose for comfort when I tore them down last winter.

We have had nothing but perfect success with short blocks from OHIO CRANKSHAFT. Just built another 540 blower engine out of one of their shortblocks and was very impressed with the product.

And you are right, for the price of these things, you can't build them yourself for that unless you are getting cheap machine work, and we all know what that gets us into.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered

Hey Jeff1000man, What kind of RPM and boost#'s were you running with the Ohio crankshaft 540's?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Did you ever get yours put back together?
Nope, both heads and intakes badly corroded and need to be replaced. I'm going to sit on it and save up for repower. Not worth it to fix IMO.

Quick Reply: 540 engine builder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.