water in oil, compression test question >

water in oil, compression test question

Notices

water in oil, compression test question

Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Pull the riser off the manifold and see if there's water in the ports, usually in the two center ports. Next, take the manifolds off and pressure check them.

If you don't see any water in the manifold it's either a head gasket leaking into the engine, cracked head/block, oil cooler, intake manifold and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.

As far as the oil, I've had good luck pumping the old oil out and replacing it with a light weight 10W/30 and run it on the hose for 15 minutes, then do another oil change and let it run on the hose for 30 minutes at 1500 rpms. Once that's done change the oil again but this time use regular oil, not the thin stuff...and take it for a 1 hr. cruise and the rest of the moisture should be evaporated......that is if you figured out where the water leak was coming from...
Old 10-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tssteph
If it is leaking into a cylinder it should. I also pressure tested my water system. Water normally comes in from one source and out two.
That is only 1 way water can leak out of a head gasket into the motor. If you leak down or check compression and the numbers come out OK it does not mean the head gasket is OK.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what if you pressure the block and heads,holds 15#s for thirty minutes but still had water in the #6 hole, im lost maybe reversion
Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlaudio29
yah the motor is old, it was supposedly rebuilt in 2005, but the intake manifold dosnt look to be in the greatest shape so im wondering if the gasket isnt bad, and who knows possible the headgasket as well.. im also thinking of replacing the exhaust manifolds and risers too. that way i know what kinda work went into the motor this time around.
Start with the risers and manifolds, but then move to the intake manifold. Odds are much better there than a cracked block ets unless you didn't winterize properly etc.