Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
External Steering: Full power assist or manual helm? >

External Steering: Full power assist or manual helm?

Notices

External Steering: Full power assist or manual helm?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks CB, also just what I was looking for. Very appreciated.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want a full manual hydraulic steering system? Why would you want to get rid of the power steering pump if its already there?

You can piece a system together a lot cheaper than what you can buy one, but the kits do come pretty complete. We just installed one last weekend from CP/Hardin Marine, full powered helm system. It is unreal how solid it is, makes it easy to trim drives/tabs and throttle when you don't need to have a hand on the wheel and it still tracks dead straight.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree on the cost of putting together your own system. I've done it a couple times and it was about 1/4 the price of a complete system. I think I had about $500 in one twin ram setup.
You just need to figure in the displacement of the helm unit, the volume of the steering ram(s) and the number of turns you're aiming for. Then start looking for parts.

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Why would you want a full manual hydraulic steering system? Why would you want to get rid of the power steering pump if its already there?

You can piece a system together a lot cheaper than what you can buy one, but the kits do come pretty complete. We just installed one last weekend from CP/Hardin Marine, full powered helm system. It is unreal how solid it is, makes it easy to trim drives/tabs and throttle when you don't need to have a hand on the wheel and it still tracks dead straight.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rdoactive
I would agree on the cost of putting together your own system. I've done it a couple times and it was about 1/4 the price of a complete system. I think I had about $500 in one twin ram setup.
You just need to figure in the displacement of the helm unit, the volume of the steering ram(s) and the number of turns you're aiming for. Then start looking for parts.
You have a parts list for one of the kits you pieced together by chance? I started on one for my boat but had about 600 in just the helm/hoses/fittings, haven't even priced the rams yet. What did you end up using for rams?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best deal on rams out there are the Hynautic K5s. They are not as pretty as the polished S/S ones, but they're REALLY strong and cheap and easy to rebuild. That's important if you buy used.
As for lines, I got them from a local hydraulics dealer and I used brass ends. A lot cheaper than S/S lines and ends.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Registered

Cool, I'll check them out. The rams seem to be about the most expensive part. The kit we put on my cousins boat was top notch but I think he also spent about $4 g's on it too!