Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
External Steering: Full power assist or manual helm? >

External Steering: Full power assist or manual helm?

Notices

External Steering: Full power assist or manual helm?

Old 10-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default External Steering: Full power assist or manual helm?

I asked this question on another forum and didn't get much of a response or a responce saying go full and don't even bother with the add on. That is not the purpose of this question as I intend to go full. I should have just asked it here first since this is where all the big dogs are. I have an add on external steering system on the way now, and I am looking into the future for when I convert the system to full hydraulic (may do it before I even add the add on). I know I can call IMCO and ask them the differences, but I would like to hear from those who actually have it, maybe even have had both. I am leaning toward a full manual system due to the simplicity and ability to remove the power steering pump. The boat it is going on is a Stingray 230LX and weighs around 3300lbs dry. I don't know if the size and weight are going to be a big difference. Boat speed is projected at this point to be somewhere between 70 and 80 mph. Any feedback / insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put drew marine sidewinders on my scarab made a big differnce in the control of the boat , they cost in the ball park about 750.00 . for little boat thats all you need. with a rader gun i was clocked at 79.2 . scott
Old 10-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the add on on my 28zx Donzi and had no problem at 70-75 with a whippeled 502.

Now I have a 320 Velocity and have the full set-up with helm. but planning on high 90's so I'm glad to have it.

You should be fine with the add on only. Try it first if you don't like add the helm. Just make sure you have room for it sort'a takes up room behind the wheel

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 10-12-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add on is quite a bit stiffer at low rpm full can be turned with one finger I have a duel ram add on set up on my 29 single and will be upgrading to a full set up next year. Also when you go to full it elimanates the power steering pump? I did not know that! That will make it alot easier to install the Prochager.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered

Fast, I already have a set of sidewinders on my 75mph(GPS) searay 185. Those are going to be sold in the near future.

Again, I am not asking the difference between add on and full. I want to know the feeling difference between Full Power Assist and Full manual. Full power assist uses a helm with four ports and receives pressurized fluid from the PS pump and the steering wheel. The helm directs fluid to either side of the ram to move the drive under power assist (not addon). A full manual system helm has only two ports and the helm acts as a pump as you turn the wheel. The pumps are described with numbers like 75cc displacement or something. This is the style you can get rid of the PS pump with since it is manual.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Not sure what "full manual" is???? I would guess its what is used on Outboards???

I had add on dual ram on my single 28 Pantera. It was pretty stiff at idle. It still had the pull to one side, but was tighter and had teh added safety.

I now have dual ram full hyd on twins. It is much better and way easier to turn.

Originally Posted by Freekazz
Add on is quite a bit stiffer at low rpm full can be turned with one finger I have a duel ram add on set up on my 29 single and will be upgrading to a full set up next year. Also when you go to full it elimanates the power steering pump? I did not know that! That will make it alot easier to install the Prochager.
Full Hyd does not eliminate the PS pump. Actually, you have to weld the fill cap closed and add an external reservoir.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Registered

Griff, that is a Full Power Assist system then. On a full manual helm, the helm is the pump and is responsible for pushing the fliuid. On your system, the helm is simply a diverter. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Registered

I've had a manual full hydraulic, a power assisted full hydraulic, and an add-on.
My opinion: if cost is the same between power and manual, go with power assist. But if it costs significantly more for power assist, go with manual for a single bravo application.
It dose not take that much effort to move a bravo.
BTW my manual hydraulic was on a twin TRS, and that took some effort to turn at low speed.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

Thanks Rdoactive, that was the reponse I was looking for. Any other opinions out there?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Chris
Gold Member

My experience with a full manual, hydraulic helm, is that you generally have more turns lock to lock on them so that they have the leverage to move the rams while at speed as opposed to a power assisted hydraulic helm. The more turns lock to lock, the easier, but slower they are to turn the boat. You can order them with a variety of turns. This type of helm is usually used on outboard applications. They also require alot more space behind the dash than the power assisted type of hydraulic helm.

Chris

Quick Reply: External Steering: Full power assist or manual helm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.