Crane HI6M box Question

Notices

Crane HI6M box Question

Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crane HI6M box Question

Hello All,

I just got a crane hi6m control box for my thunderbolt 4 distributor . Reading the destructions I need to drill four holes for the rotor phasing in hall effect distributor. Does crane sell this already drilled and why do you need four holes drilled. Does anyone have any easy way to do this and is it needed. Thanks Alec
Old 10-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to drill it. The four holes are 3 for screws and one for the alignment pin. Use the template supplied and make up a couple. You can then replace the top/ plastic rotor only if needed.

Crane does NOT sell a rotor for this.

Dave
Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that hard to do. You can do it with hand tools if you're careful.

Yes, it is necessary. If you don't do it, the engine will run, but you will eventually get into misfire issues.

I agree, make a couple while you're at it. That box is a great box, and worth the extra effort.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crane said, drilling and rotating the rotor, retards the timing.Then the curve is made up by your switch selection.This is the best box and you use the Merc dist., which holds up better driving high volume oil pumps.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered

Definately worth the extra effort. Take your time drilling and make sure you have an extra rotor or two. I have been very happy with my HI-6m, its adjustability, and built in features.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is my jig for making the holes line up right. If the rotor holes are not drilled closely to the template, the rotor will not let the plastic elec connector for the distributor slip over the distributor shaft. I slipped a cut a piece of wood and put it over an old distributor shaft. Then took the rotor to be drilled and placed it right side up over the shaft onto the wood. put the template on top of the rotor to be drilled and tape it down. Take another rotor and place it upside down over the rotor to be drilled. Rotate the upside down rotor to match the holes in the paper template. Clamp with needle nose vice grips and drill the holes using the holes in the upside down rotor as a guide.
Attached Thumbnails Crane HI6M box Question-p7160001-medium-.jpg   Crane HI6M box Question-p7160002-medium-.jpg   Crane HI6M box Question-p7160005-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Thunderstruck; 10-21-2008 at 07:38 AM.