Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Inverted Oil filter trick?? >

Inverted Oil filter trick??

Notices

Inverted Oil filter trick??

Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't Changed the filters yet but I am struggling with the idea that the oil flows back to the pan.
Maybe I'm a dumb car motor guy, but the oil filter is typically between the Oil pump and the oil galleys. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump so oil won't back flow through it, and the oil galley feed the bearings, so the oil would have to flow through the bearing clearances. Still very tight.

So where or how does the oil flow back to the pan??

Since I have twins, I'll try one each way poke a hole in one and let the other gurgle at the seal.

Thanks For the replies guys.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know how the filter head is mounted on the 496HO but on the 500efi they are mounted with two bolts..I have tried everything that every one has suggested and what I end up doing is loosen the filter,stop before you break the seal from the filter head, unbolt the filter head and then lay everything in a small pan. Then I take the filter off the rest of the way and bolt the filter head back on. Never lose a drop

Last edited by upstate31sonic; 10-21-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Right after running the boat, park it and shut it down. I usually do this on Sunday night after coming home from the weekend. Pop open the drain valve on the bottom of the oil pan drain tube. Also, pop the hole in the top dead center of the oil filter. Make sure to use a screwdriver or awl that is only the length of the filter, no longer. Let it drain for a couple days. Then you get every last drop of oil into the pan, and out the drain tube.

On Thursday or Friday, go pop on a new filter and toss in 8 quarts, and you are good to go. I've been doing this for years, and I am very happy with the results.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Right after running the boat, park it and shut it down. I usually do this on Sunday night after coming home from the weekend. Pop open the drain valve on the bottom of the oil pan drain tube. Also, pop the hole in the top dead center of the oil filter. Make sure to use a screwdriver or awl that is only the length of the filter, no longer. Let it drain for a couple days. Then you get every last drop of oil into the pan, and out the drain tube.

On Thursday or Friday, go pop on a new filter and toss in 8 quarts, and you are good to go. I've been doing this for years, and I am very happy with the results.
Ditto, but I forgot to do this when I got back from my last run. The drain has been open since sat. afternoon......guess I can go put the filters on and put new oil in tonight huh?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, pop the hole in the top dead center of the oil filter. Make sure to use a screwdriver or awl that is only the length of the filter, no longer.
Be careful doing this part. If you are using a filter with a anti-siphon valve built in, check to make sure no parts, spring or check valve has fallen down and blocked the exit to the oil filter adapter when making the hole. Do this before you spin on the new filter!!!! Your really dont want to know how I know this
Old 10-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Be careful doing this part. If you are using a filter with a anti-siphon valve built in, check to make sure no parts, spring or check valve has fallen down and blocked the exit to the oil filter adapter when making the hole. Do this before you spin on the new filter!!!! Your really dont want to know how I know this
Jacksonville?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jacksonville?
Yup!!